• 4(current)
Android Hardware
Waste of time Smile I have lots of experience with xbmc on tg2. no neon really hurts, you can't even do SD content. So you can get XBMC GUI up and that's about it.

tg2 has vfpv3-d16, normal armv7 has vfpv3-d32, neon is a vector processor. Think mmx or sse in the Intel world.
(2012-07-24, 07:02)davilla Wrote: Waste of time Smile I have lots of experience with xbmc on tg2. no neon really hurts, you can't even do SD content. So you can get XBMC GUI up and that's about it.

tg2 has vfpv3-d16, normal armv7 has vfpv3-d32, neon is a vector processor. Think mmx or sse in the Intel world.

I figured non-neon would be a major issue, but I wouldn't mind seeing for myself as it were. Thank you for the FPU settings as I was having a hard time finding them.
You will also need to fix crystax as it will build with neon enabled. it's a bug that was in googles ndk7 r2 I think and propagated into crystax.
Just got my Xios DS. Can't wait to hook it up.
(2012-07-24, 07:20)davilla Wrote: You will also need to fix crystax as it will build with neon enabled. it's a bug that was in googles ndk7 r2 I think and propagated into crystax.

Thanks for the heads up. I had quickly looked at the NDK7b bug related to the NEON optimization's. From what I could tell it was related to specifying the "wrong" -mfpu= flag when building. I went ahead and updated all of the NEON fpu declarations to use vfpv3-d16 instead which will hopefully avoid the bug in the NDK. If you are interested, I will report back with my findings / results.
Hi I'm a user of ATV 2 and I am really excited about this news. Could you recommend a good Set top box to buy and whether I can get it in the UK

Keep up the great work!
The one that's been mentioned a lot (Pivos XIOS) doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet. I've (as in yesterday) ordered a Sumvision Cyclone Nano Slim Plus Media Player from Amazon UK (not the cheapest price, but I like the support): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083...00_s00_i00 which seems to be pretty similar spec-wise to the Pivos XIOS but may not be identical: http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers...boxes.html

EDIT: This post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1154525 looks promising! If the firmware for the Pivos XIOS works on the Sumvision then we could be cooking with gas sooner rather than later!

I'm really looking forward to kicking my AppleTV2 unit out (I'm confident that I can make a profit on this on fleabay) and going fully Android Smile
(2012-07-24, 08:02)kemonine96 Wrote:
(2012-07-24, 07:20)davilla Wrote: You will also need to fix crystax as it will build with neon enabled. it's a bug that was in googles ndk7 r2 I think and propagated into crystax.

Thanks for the heads up. I had quickly looked at the NDK7b bug related to the NEON optimization's. From what I could tell it was related to specifying the "wrong" -mfpu= flag when building. I went ahead and updated all of the NEON fpu declarations to use vfpv3-d16 instead which will hopefully avoid the bug in the NDK. If you are interested, I will report back with my findings / results.

I can confirm that the crystax NDK has the -mfpu=vfpv3 optimization enabled which will cause problems on the Tegra2 from what I've read thus far. Looks like I get to build the NDK as well as XBMC this time around. Thanks a bunch for your help / insights davilla, I really appreciate it.
(2012-07-24, 07:02)davilla Wrote: Waste of time Smile I have lots of experience with xbmc on tg2. no neon really hurts, you can't even do SD content. So you can get XBMC GUI up and that's about it.

I'm not questioning, but I'm not seeing an issue playing any SD content on my Xoom? Its what I bought it for... it has a 64gb SD card in it with a heap of movies on all of which it plays with dice player? I watched a full 720p file this evening admittedly it was AVI file but I've also played 1280 x 533 H264 content over SMB. Just curious what the teg2 device was you tried on?
I have an Acer A100. XBMC for Android will not launch at all for me on the device. When I started digging into why, it looks like the Tegra2 platform Acer used does not include the NEON co-processor which is why it was crashing. I am not familiar with the XOOM, but if XBMC is working for you, they likely have included the NEON co-processor.

davilla's comment about SD content was framed in the context of no NEON co-processor and a customized build of XBMC. If the normal XBMC builds work for you, it should play SD content just fine. I have a Samsung Galaxy S III and it plays SD content over WiFi without problem.
Unfortunately XBMC won't run on the Xoom... I've tried a build I found on xda developers but it doesn't launch... I use Dice Player, my Xoom is a stock wifi model running the US ICS build... I doubt it has the neon co-pro as high rate h264 has it gasping for breath :-) but upto <15mbps seems fine
SD content as in DVD/ISOs, xbmc cannot use hardware acceleration to play them if they contain dvd navigation.
oooh, i didn't know that. have most of my movies in iso
That is my biggest issue with adopting android for XBMC. I like to keep the dvd menu for music and concert dvds
It might be useful to have a post in here devoted specifically to allowing people give feedback on which android hardware is functioning;

Xbmc 12 android built 20.07.12
Samsung Galaxy S i9000 - ICS - CM9 Nightly 23.07.12 - WORKING
Google Nexus 7 - JB - Stock - WORKING
Sony Xeperia S Nozomi - ICS - Stock - Freezes on black screen at start up, crashes cleanly
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android Hardware5