• 3(current)
XIOS PIVOS vs ATV2
@davilla:
quit speaking in mysteries and come clean ;-)
Just how much where you guys involved in this thing ? You seem to know awfully much about the specs and roadmaps of that little box.

Not offending, just curious.

Do you guys think, this will be better than ATV - even if it will be a device kind of made for XBMC ?

Help us out here, will you ?
Does the XIOS have 24P output (in contrast to the ATV)?
(2012-07-16, 10:06)Kaiserlein Wrote: Do you guys think, this will be better than ATV - even if it will be a device kind of made for XBMC ?

It almost HAS to be better than the ATV3 at least right? Considering there is no ATV3 jailbreak on the horizon, rasppi is very hard to come by/"techy" to get running, and from all the research ive done - the only way to get a true/simple/cheap 1080p stand alone HTPC is to convert an apple tv 1 to crystalbuntu with the broadcom chip installed, then clearly a hardware/software merge of xbmc on a very cheap platform is truly better.

i am techy and also an apple ecosystem fan. Therefore i have my atv2 and atv3 running off my always on mac mini which is connected to a 3tb HD. i run netflix for obscure movies and shows, itunes for all my music - homeshared to speakers throughout house, and xbmc for my movie and tv shows. Anyone who comes over and sees my extensive movie on demand library goes COOL i want that. so telling them that sure here is how you can have it.

1. always on computer or NAS box with ample storage - $$700+
2. atv1 plus broadcom - >$150; atv2 - $150, any of type of HTPC >$200
and thats the easy part:
software - hack/mod/jailbreak/SSH/thumbdrive creation tether-untether - you name it, unless of course you go the more expensive route of just buying a fanless PC and attaching it - but then we get into all sorts of remote controlling hurdles etc

with xbmc soon to be on google play well then this becomes SUPER easy for people who JUST want to watch movies and tvs shows off an external HD

1. buy android box - hook up external drive
2. download and install XBMC app
3. Done

this is one step closer to having XBMC on its own hardware platform - ie boxee box, to the point where any apple tv hacking becomes almost obsolete.

i for one would love for nothing better than XBMC on my ATV3, but for NON tech people who want to enjoy movies without much fuss...a XBMC dedicate hardware box running an external drive is a dream come true
Are Pivos XBMC aspirations centered around the XIOS DS or is that just the byproduct of development on new hardware...

basically would you advise buying the XIOS DS now, or waiting a few months?
@Kaiserlein, can't say right now Smile But yes, I know the insides quite well. And like I said, it smokes atv2/atv3.

@acidduck, to suppport 24p output means android has to support that. And well you can just forget it. But we have a ace up our sleeves that might satisfy those that want 24p output. That ace will appear soon.

@Tj78492, I could tell you but then I'd have to.... Smile XIOS DS is the 1st product, there are others in the pipe and when they will pop out is unknown as there are lots of factors involved. I don't forsee anything in the next few months. I can't advise on purchasing decisions, you will have to make that choice yourself.
(2012-07-16, 16:13)lmbmusic Wrote: this is one step closer to having XBMC on its own hardware platform - ie boxee box, to the point where any apple tv hacking becomes almost obsolete.
As of 7/14, ATV hacking is obsolete. An ATV1 will cost at least $200 (if you can find one) by the time you get a hardware decoding card installed, and you'll lose wifi. An ATV2 maxes out at 720p and is sluggish in general, and the ATV3 is currently unhackable.

The XIOS is available now, and XBMC works on it now. There is no compelling reason to keep giving money to apple in exchange for hardware they don't want you to be able to use.
(2012-07-16, 19:55)candre23 Wrote: As of 7/14, ATV hacking is obsolete. An ATV1 will cost at least $200 (if you can find one) by the time you get a hardware decoding card installed, and you'll lose wifi. An ATV2 maxes out at 720p and is sluggish in general, and the ATV3 is currently unhackable.

The XIOS is available now, and XBMC works on it now. There is no compelling reason to keep giving money to apple in exchange for hardware they don't want you to be able to use.

I wouldn't say that. I have an ATV2, an Android set-top box, my laptop, some mini-ITX motherboards, and my ATV1+BCHD is still my most used system.

I can still find ATV1s on ebay and Craigslist for under $100, then throw in a BCHD (wiki) card, and that will still out perform many ARM systems (granted it will be larger and use a little more power, but same with most slim/nettop boxes). Wifi can be added back via USB. ATV1 is also the most stable of the three options, as it has been under development the longest (that is, linux and/or Mac OS X versions of XBMC vs iOS and Android).

Android has a long way to go to be as smooth as XBMC is on ATV1 or ATV2. It will get there, but it's not there today.

ATV2 and 3's native AirPlay support, including mirroring which we don't have in XBMC (which has only been hacked on desktop targets/servers using paid software) is still a very nice incentive. Plus there are those with previous Apple/iTunes movie/tv purchases that will want to be able to have a player that can also support those as well.

One big thing is being able to hack something you might already have. Kind of like with the original xbox or an old PC. A lot of people will have an android device or an ATV sitting around before they even know about XBMC, and now they can hack either to run XBMC.
No 24 fps or 7.1 HD sound is a show stopper. ATV1 will remain for now (24 fps is most important to me) Smile

HDMI 1.3 means no real 3D support either
The on board 10/100 Ethernet does it really matter to you guys? it has no 1000....?

I know gigabit is not necessary for streaming but maybe it would of been nice.
(2012-07-17, 02:15)Beer40oz Wrote: The on board 10/100 Ethernet does it really matter to you guys? it has no 1000....?

I know gigabit is not necessary for streaming but maybe it would of been nice.

The SoC isn't fast enough to really take advantage of gbit, and even if it was, USB is too CPU intensive to allow any serious throughput. I suppose it could have been included as 'OOOH, PRETTY!' However, it would have bumped up the price and serves no real purpose.
For XIOS DS, on what plateform should I install xbmc, GB or ICS? And is there any other setting should I need to do on Android to make xbmc better performance?
I tried it on both GB and ICS but very choppy. OR may be xios xs hardware is not strong enough, as even steams are not watchable on best available video player of android like mx player etc.
use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓
(2012-07-17, 03:41)ykhehra1 Wrote: For XIOS DS, on what plateform should I install xbmc, GB or ICS? And is there any other setting should I need to do on Android to make xbmc better performance?
I tried it on both GB and ICS but very choppy. OR may be xios xs hardware is not strong enough, as even steams are not watchable on best available video player of android like mx player etc.

Hardware decoding isn't hooked up at all yet. While there is support for XIOS, it's not available in the apk's everyone has been building/using. It will come later.
there is a lot of "we have an ace up our sleeve" and "you will see soon..." and others.
that's frustrating, because this might be the most interesting thread for a long time in here.

So the only thing ist:

Where should we look to stay as good informed as possible ?
Since you guys don't share a lot right now (kind of know this one from a big computer company from cupertino) - which is perfectly fine. There would be a million stupid questions about stuff, that isn't ready.

But what is the place you would share details when you arrive a milestone in your project you tend to tell the world ?

Keep up the awesome work.
(2012-07-18, 09:28)Kaiserlein Wrote: But what is the place you would share details when you arrive a milestone in your project you tend to tell the world ?
My guess would be the XBMC homepage: xbmc.org
That's where the Android (and other major) announcements have been posted.
Ok, here's the deal. I've already mentioned it in two other threads.

XBMC for Android needs to access hardware video decode as armv7 even with neon just does not have the ponies to decode HD video. Android does not provide what we need in a public API so we have to dip into the private API to access what's called OpenMax. It's complicated and there are several quirks that have to be handled.

XIOS DS was shown with hardware video decode because we were able to transplant an internal player that knows how to go direct on amlogic SoCs. This internal player comes from another project and is called amlplayer and source code for it will be injected soon. You can already see two pull/req's into the android branch that are released to this.

So, soon, very soon. those with XIOS DS will be able to play SD/HD content with hardware video decode. Other devices will follow as we get OpenMax up and working.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XIOS PIVOS vs ATV20