Record OTA HD for under $100? What hardware?
So I had HTPCs back in the early 2000s, but since then drifted away from the hobby due to lack of time.

We are cutting cable TV and I do already have PS3 and Roku, but I need to be able to give my wife capability to record OTA HD shows with something that has program guide.

I know I can do XBMC and AppleTV1 + BCM70015 combo for under $50. I would like to see how I could PVR HD OTA under $100.
If you have already have a Sony PlayTV for your PS3 then you can hook that up to either win or linux box of your choice and have a twin tuner HD recorder thing going pretty easily with TvHeadEnd (linux) or ForTheRecord (windows, better, IMHO) - they are also available second hand pretty cheap normally.

If you don't have a server to use and you want an all in once box <$100 with HD PVR as well as xbmc, that will be harder....but with the Android announcement you will eb able to get close I'd say with the Pivos Xios or simlar...

But for a good answer you need to give a lote more info on how your general set up works and what you want/need- i.e. do you have a server, or are you storing locally, etc.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I want to keep it as simple as possible. We are getting rid of the Tivo box we had from cable. I don't do rips, I don't watch DVDs, my MP3 library I rarely use.

ROKU handles Netflix, Amazon, Pandora. That is about all we need. PS3 I have, just because I used to play games.

Goal is to basically mimic Tivo for the wife. Want to plug the antenna in the back, HDMI to the TV. I have bunch of bare and external USB drives I can use.
Yeah well then I don't think XBMC is for you since PVR support is not yet mainline and it's definitely not as simple as that in all. Doesn't sound like you need an HTPC at all, just a bog standard PVR box.

OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
(2012-07-16, 06:34)bossanova808 Wrote: Yeah well then I don't think XBMC is for you since PVR support is not yet mainline and it's definitely not as simple as that in all. Doesn't sound like you need an HTPC at all, just a bog standard PVR box.

Any recommendations?
Not my department, sorry Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Record OTA HD for under $100? What hardware?0