XBMCBuntu terminal not working
I am running Eden 11 and I can log into XBMC or XBMCBuntu with my user name and password. When I hit ctrl +alt F1 and go to the terminal from XBMC or XBMCBuntu I am asked for a user name and password. I type my user name and password, but it doesn't work. I found a thread on another website and it said the default user/pass is xbmc xbmc, and sometimes the password will still be xbmc. So I tried my username and xbmc as the password and it still didn't work. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Nobody has any ideas ?
Does xbmc/xbmc work?
Try the following:
  1. Log-in to the XBMCbuntu desktop with your username/password
  2. Launch a terminal session (Start menu > System Tools > XTerm)
  3. Enter the command: sudo passwd root
  4. Enter your password (the one you use to log-in)
  5. When prompted, enter a new password for root
  6. When prompted, re-enter your new password for root
  7. After you get the password changed confirmation, you may close the terminal window
  8. To verify new root password is good from the console, hit Ctrl-Alt-F1
  9. Enter user ID: root
  10. Enter password for root you set-up above
  11. Log-in as root should be successful
  12. Type: exit
  13. Enter your regular username
  14. Enter your regular password
  15. Log-in as your regular user should be successful and, from now on, you should be able to log-in with your username/password from the console (e.g., Ctrl-Alt-F1)

UPDATE:
Although the instructions above are correct as far as setting a password for root, this has nothing to do with resolving the problem described in the initial post. It was just a coincidence that I was able to log-in to my regular user after setting the root password. See this post for the correct problem diagnosis and resolution.
Thank you artrafael!!!.........I still can't log into the terminal with my regular user name and password, but now with the root user I just set up I am able to log in and update drivers. Although that didn't help with my original problem which can be found here :

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134493&page=2
my last post is where I stand. SUPER frustrating. Thanks again
Hmm... worked for me after I assigned a password to root... I was then able to log-in with my regular username/password at the console.

Anyway, can't you just launch a terminal session (e.g., XTerm) from the XBMCbuntu desktop and do your CLI stuff from there as your regular user?
Actually, I think I've figured out what our problem may be and my suggestion a couple of posts back is incorrect. It has nothing to do with setting a password for root (although that did enable you to log-in to the console to issue CLI commands).
  • When you installed XBMCbuntu, you were prompted to enter your name, system name, username, and password
  • The ("user-friendly") name is what is later displayed on the XBMCbuntu log-in window; however, the OS is actually logging-in with the associated username.
  • When you log-in at the console, the OS expects the username, not the name that's displayed on the XBMCbuntu log-in window. So, if your name and username are not identical, and you enter name for your log-in, the OS will reject it (after submitting your password) because it doesn't exist as a user on the system.
  • To find out what your username is, bring up the XBMCbuntu desktop and launch XTerm (Start menu > System Tools). Your username is displayed on the CLI prompt: username@system-name:~$
  • Use that username to log-in at the console.
I had inadvertently entered my name the first time I tried logging-in at the console and the system rejected it, so I thought I had re-created your problem on my system. After messing around with setting a root password and verifying I could log-in as root, I went back and logged-in as my regular user, but this time, I entered my username instead and thus was able to log-in successfully. My name and username are made up of the same two hyphen-delimited words, but transposed, so I didn't initially notice the difference.
WOWWWWWWWWww.....it works!!........that was an amazing find!!!! you ROCK!!! thanks again.........now I could just figure out why my video card is not working properly in XBMC but working fine in XBMCBuntu I could actually start enjoying some movies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu terminal not working0