My first DIY build and HTPC. Let's call it an 8-pack.
This is what I am getting for my case/board combination: IR Receiver w/Cable and a Custom Mounting Bracket for use with ASRock CIR Motherboards.
I will drill a small hole through the front panel of the case and position the eye of the receiver there. According to this post it can be used to turn the HTPC off and on.
(2012-07-23, 17:12)Bleikur Wrote: This is what I am getting for my case/board combination: IR Receiver w/Cable and a Custom Mounting Bracket for use with ASRock CIR Motherboards.
I will drill a small hole through the front panel of the case and position the eye of the receiver there. According to this post it can be used to turn the HTPC off and on.

Interesting. Did you order it yet?
If so, maybe I'll wait to hear how well it works for you.
The more I read about ASRock's Smart Remote setup, the less I trust it.

Sounds like piss poor customer support.
Found here.

No, I haven't ordered it yet, but if Eskro recommends it, it can't be that bad.
Just place an order for this Rosewill remote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101002

I was going to get an internal IR receiver and drill a hole in the case, but I don't
a) want to drill holes in the case
b) want to risk line of sight issues

Here's hoping I'm able to power on the ASRock A75M board with the remote.

Cool
A little late but I got the referenced Inteset internal IR Receiver. When I got mine they didn't have one specifically for the ASRock motherboards and it required me to re-pin the Intel version to work with my ASRock CIR header. Looks like they've made one that already has the right connector to keep it simple.

On my system, I used a slim blu-ray drive from a laptop and a special bracket adaptor for the 5.25" bay. This leaves a empty slot below the drive on the front with a plastic covering. I replaced the plastic covering with a cut out piece of smoked black plastic and then mounted my IR Receiver behind it, under the blu-ray drive. The IR receiver has a red LED that is always on when there is power to the system. It is very faint and barely noticeable behind the smoked plastic. Overall, it made for a very nice, clean installation. Because it is a long, wide, opening, there are no issues with line of sight use of the remote.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-07-25, 03:56)Mick1152 Wrote: A little late but I got the referenced Inteset internal IR Receiver. When I got mine they didn't have one specifically for the ASRock motherboards and it required me to re-pin the Intel version to work with my ASRock CIR header. Looks like they've made one that already has the right connector to keep it simple.

On my system, I used a slim blu-ray drive from a laptop and a special bracket adaptor for the 5.25" bay. This leaves a empty slot below the drive on the front with a plastic covering. I replaced the plastic covering with a cut out piece of smoked black plastic and then mounted my IR Receiver behind it, under the blu-ray drive. The IR receiver has a red LED that is always on when there is power to the system. It is very faint and barely noticeable behind the smoked plastic. Overall, it made for a very nice, clean installation. Because it is a long, wide, opening, there are no issues with line of sight use of the remote.

Any pictures of your install? It sounds like a great solution.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
I will take some pictures tomorrow when I'm home and post them up. I keep meaning to post some to my original build thread but haven't bothered. This will be a good excuse!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD

Sorry it took so long, I totally forgot about taking pictures of this for you guys until today. Anyways, please ignore the dust. I'm doing a bit of work elsewhere in the house and everything is even more dusty than normal right now.

Got a PM about this but figured I should post it on the thread here too.

The plastic cover I used is a 1/8" thick piece of "Grey" tinted Acrylic. It had no impact on usable range on my remote that I've noticed.

I bought a small sheet of it when I got my Raspberry Pi to build a case out of it, but instead decided to go a different route for a case. I've been cutting small pieces off it for various little projects since then. If you're interested in it, it was item number 44442 from usplastic.com.

Thanks for the sharing.
I'm in progress of ordering my first HTPC parts.
I got similar spec as you do.

This is my spec:
=============
AMD A6-3500 3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz HD6530D FM1
ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 CIR USB3.0 SATAIII UEFI mITx
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B
Western Digital AV-GP 1000GB WD10EUCX SATA3
Silverstone ML03
SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Case Fan x 2 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835226033
Seasonic SS-350ES 350W or Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F-ES

I'm getting 2 80MM case fans because I'm going to store the HTPC in a closed drawer with only 1 ventilation hole.

It would be nice if you could bunch everything you were using together so I could follow your tail.
This would be the first time I built a PC from scratch.

10x and have fun - I hope to do it soon Smile
(2012-07-25, 03:33)_RT_ Wrote: Just place an order for this Rosewill remote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101002

I was going to get an internal IR receiver and drill a hole in the case, but I don't
a) want to drill holes in the case
b) want to risk line of sight issues

Here's hoping I'm able to power on the ASRock A75M board with the remote.

Cool

I realize I didn't update my thread about this remote.
It works perfectly with the build.
I'm able to power on the HTPC (from off) using my Harmony remote and the receiver from this package.

I also added a 3TB drive to the HTPC rather than using my external 500-gig passports. SO MUCH HAPPIER.

The only other thing I may do at some point in time is consider mounting the receiver in the case - similar to what MICK1152 did. Considering I have my keyboard receiver sticking out of the usb slot though, getting rid of one is pointless when the other is still there.

Oh well. Baby steps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first DIY build and HTPC. Let's call it an 8-pack.0