Solved Crash when playing video, Remote Communication Server Fails to Start upon relaunch
(2012-08-02, 19:05)pecinko Wrote: Yup, that was exactly what I had in mind but probably failed explaining myself properly Smile

Ha! no you were fine, I think I was mostly thinking (typing) out loudSmile. Well I blew out my MySQL db, but I didn't see one for music in the database folder of my xbmc userfolder (strange...). I loaded the 2Pac folder onto my desktop and after reopening xbmc, scanned it into the library. Low and behold, all the cd covers show up in XBMC. Sooooo now I dunno what's going onSmile. I guess I'll to just recreate the steps from before and hope it goes smoother this time. I'll report back.
(2012-08-03, 00:16)seth.feinberg Wrote:
(2012-08-02, 19:05)pecinko Wrote: Yup, that was exactly what I had in mind but probably failed explaining myself properly Smile

Ha! no you were fine, I think I was mostly thinking (typing) out loudSmile. Well I blew out my MySQL db, but I didn't see one for music in the database folder of my xbmc userfolder (strange...). I loaded the 2Pac folder onto my desktop and after reopening xbmc, scanned it into the library. Low and behold, all the cd covers show up in XBMC. Sooooo now I dunno what's going onSmile. I guess I'll to just recreate the steps from before and hope it goes smoother this time. I'll report back.

So in other words your advancedsettings still point to a MySQL server and the music database was recreated on the server, instead of local userdata directory. What is different is your music is now on your local hard drive to which you actually have proper permissions.

So stop fiddling with the file ownerships and whatnot. Tongue
(2012-08-03, 08:31)toiva Wrote: So in other words your advancedsettings still point to a MySQL server and the music database was recreated on the server, instead of local userdata directory. What is different is your music is now on your local hard drive to which you actually have proper permissions.

So stop fiddling with the file ownerships and whatnot. Tongue

Indeed that was what the test was meant to expose. However I removed the desktop 2Pac folder from my Library, blew out the MySQL db again and changed my sources.xml music source back to the nfs share on my NAS. scanned the source to my Library overnight and shockingly I woke up this morning with all the the album thumbnails in xbmc! All with ZERO changes to file permissions or really changes of any kind outside of just deleted the MySQL db and starting from scratch. I'd be more frustrated if I wasn't so happy that its fixedSmile, now if only I could find a program that autamagically downloads Artist thumbs and fanart for all my music (aka a Ember Media Manager for Music)...

Now to see if moving the thumbnail folder actually fixed the crashing issue on the Mac Mini, stay tuned for the next enthralling installment of Idiot with a Keyboard.

Thanks everyone for your help!
well everything SEEMED to be working fine, but, still, whenever I load up XBMC I get the same "Loading media info from files..." and it chugs through all my Music files until it inevitably stalls before it even gets to the B's usually stalling the Video library update in the process. I uninstalled every music library add-on I could find but it still does it. Only turning off "Update Library on startup" stops the madness. But I would really like to update my music library on some sort of automatic schedule, what I don't understand is why it appears to be going through ALL my music on every start up, and not just those files/folders that were updated. Though I do suppose this is almost certainly a different problem than what I started this thread about so perhaps I should start a new one...

Edit: So I downloaded the new Universal Scraper and disabled ANY reference to allmusic. I saw in the add-ons that the allmusic scraper was broken and allmusic was still listed as the Default service for album and artist information. At the same time I excluded all @eaDir files from the scan and listing by putting those XML items into the advancedsettings.xml. I re-enabled the "Update Library on startup" option for Music closed and reopened XBMC. This time the "Loading media info from files..." seemed FLYING through my collection and I thought my problem was solved. But it froze again, this time on Fountains of Wayne, and F is much much farther than it had ever gotten before. The "Downloading movie information" update box also froze and when I shutdown XBMC (either my the power button on the home window or pressing "S" and then choosing Exit, it hangs and when I click on it Windows says the program is not responding and asks me if I want to force close it. Here's a debug log (I needed to upgrade my Pastebin Acct to Pro to upload it):

http://pastebin.com/tUDfYmXE
Are you serious?

Thread title says crash playing video, further you say it's on os x and mac mini. Then music scanning is problem, then it's ok with local content.

Now, you say that everything was fine but problem popped up eventually. However you forget to mention that you moved to network source and changed os x for a windows in the meantime?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-08-05, 01:13)pecinko Wrote: Are you serious?

Thread title says crash playing video, further you say it's on os x and mac mini. Then music scanning is problem, then it's ok with local content.

Now, you say that everything was fine but problem popped up eventually. However you forget to mention that you moved to network source and changed os x for a windows in the meantime?

I'm sorry I thought I did mention that the problem has morphed. I have multiple installations. This problem persists on all of them. PC is actually my main one. But I apologize for going off topic. Perhaps I'll start a new thread.... Sorry for wasting the forums time...
(2012-08-05, 11:26)toiva Wrote: Image

well played...Smile
Again, I'm sorry for going so off topic back there. I basically started talking/typing out loud about all the issues I've been having but felt it was at least prudent to report on the status of the initial problem. I finally found time to test the Mac Mini: I turned on debugging and ran an hour long TV show and experienced no crash. It would appear that either changing the Thumbnails folder from /volume1/Web to /volume1/Video (the location of the Video files) or explicitly adding 501 to the "users" of my Synology (even though I feel like that should be covered by the root_squash and * of the "exports). Even though all things worked at some point before doing these things, at least I'm not getting the random crash on the Mac Mini (and seems to be less on the iOS version).

So thanks again to everybody for all your help and sorry again for babbling off topic.
known issue in xbmc eden when using multiple nfs exports where media is located on a different one as thumbnails and pathsubstitution for thumbnails is turned on @seth
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-08-07, 18:30)Memphiz Wrote: known issue in xbmc eden when using multiple nfs exports where media is located on a different one as thumbnails and pathsubstitution for thumbnails is turned on @seth

Yes thanks, could this have something to do with the issues I'm seeing with my Music Library? that is that the thumbnails are on the /volume1/Video share and not the volume1/Music share? Would a symlink be advisable?

I still don't understand what's the current problem.

- Remove your music sources from XBMC, clean the database when prompted and for the safe measure drop the whole music db from MySQL
- Delete thumbnails/music directory
- Relaunch XBMC so that it recreates the db, add the music source back and scan
- If everything is OK and you can see the cover arts, copy the thumbnails/music directory to your NAS and add path subs to advanced settings

I don't know what bug Memphiz is talking about, i've used Eden with videos and thumbs residing on 2 different exports and it was fine.
(2012-08-07, 20:48)toiva Wrote: I still don't understand what's the current problem.

- Remove your music sources from XBMC, clean the database when prompted and for the safe measure drop the whole music db from MySQL
- Delete thumbnails/music directory
- Relaunch XBMC so that it recreates the db, add the music source back and scan
- If everything is OK and you can see the cover arts, copy the thumbnails/music directory to your NAS and add path subs to advanced settings

I don't know what bug Memphiz is talking about, i've used Eden with videos and thumbs residing on 2 different exports and it was fine.

Yeah I was too for a while, but was experiencing that random crash 60-70% of the way through playing the first video file. This (or one of the other things I suppose) appears to have fixed it.

As far as the Music stuff, all of your steps have been completed and the second time around, thumbnails for my albums did in fact show up, but whenever I relaunch XBMC with the option "Update Library on Startup" under the Music tab enabled, it appears to go through my entire library "Loading media info from files" (not just those that have changed, i.e. none of them) and it inevitably freezes part way through (freezing the Video Library update in the process). I can still navigate around xbmc but if I try to play a file or exit XBMC it freezes completely and I need to force close it.

I appreciate you asking/taking the time to trouble shoot this new issue that appeared while I was trouble shooting the original one, but I totally understand that this new issue has moved past the original and understand if it would be better to just close this particular discussion.
nvm - i have introduced that bug myself and its there (no need to describe how to trigger it i guess) ... but since its offtopic i'm out anyways Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash when playing video, Remote Communication Server Fails to Start upon relaunch0