solution found - Reboot because of beigelist, can't SSH
Lightbulb 
Hi,

after apt-get update and apt-get upgrade a few days ago my ATV2 is constantly rebooting. It is running xbmc 11.0 Git 20120702-f3cd288.

After reading in the forum and experimenting a bit I found out that there must be a problem with beigelist. I can, for example, boot into xbmc when the ethernet cable is unplugged.

I can cut the connection of my home network to the internet but I am not able to SSH into the ATV2 - "the network connection is closed by the server". This is the same message from my rebooting ATV2 as the stable ATV2 (without internet).

I installed tomcool xbmc booter, maybe this was a problem, too?

Has anybody a solution how I can get into the ATV2? I feel no urge to re-jailbreak it again...

BR,
Haudrauf
I have had the beigelist problem where lowtide keeps on restarting in a boot loop but normally you can still ssh into the box to reinstall it. Looks like you have also got the wonderful broken ssh problem that nobody has pinpointed the source of. I got it when I upgraded openssh using nito-tv. Others have suggested it is a problem with an old worm that affects jailbroken idevices with default root password.

There is a procedure (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1145453) that someone posted from the firecore support site that uses afp2add and ftpservers that seems to be more complicated than rejailbreaking the device. IMHO it is better to nuke the whole site from orbit and begin again. At least you know it is stable again. Then change the password - just in case.
I had the same problem and both (mobile and root) passwords were not default, had to rejailbreak the device
Hi g-off,

thanks for the hint, but since the ATV2 is booting directly into xbmc there is no chance to install new software via nito-tv.

It is a nice picture of nuking from orbit in my head :-) thanks for that :-D So I will do it and maybe going to the new monthly releases. Working with mySQL without the need of pathsubstituations when working with two xbmc computers... Sounds very interesting.

@carcaussa, thank you for the input, ok, jailbreak again, I have to face it.

Thank you all!
Haudrauf
The jailbreak is not so bad as long as you don't try and fight Apple too much. Just grab the latest seasonpass and go for it. If you try and go down the ifaith/tinyumbrella/sillyname path you are going to be in for some strife.

Every now and then I dream about what the atv2 would be like if it wasn't hobbled by Apple's BS.
This dream I have, too. Especially with my iPad 2, which I don't want to jailbreak. What a combination to habe xbmc on both of them and having access to the same NAS and the same database...
xbmc as an app in the AppStore would be awesome, but this will be a dream for quite some time.
Apple OS is not so bad, but it is very restricted.

BTW - are you from Germany when you are writing "Apple's BS"?
I am from Australia. Bull Sh$t works quite well in english too. So what is BS in Deutsch?
Oh, I'm from Germany, so I read Apple "BS" as Apple "BetriebsSystem", german for "Operating System".
ATM I am jailbreaking my device and tring to get it running again. My wife is a bit upset of the extra work to do ;-)
For those needing to re-jailbreak their devices, I used iFaith and Total Commander without any issues on both my ATV2s that were stuck in the reboot loop to dump my SHSH blobs and re-jailbreak. The first one took about an hour because I was meticulous and researched every step, and the 2nd one took about 15 minutes.

Steps that aren't documented in there:

If you have used Seas0npass before and have not deleted the files it generates and downloads, you can find both a copy of the stock firmware as well as the Seas0npass jailbroken firmware in the Seas0npass folder (default firmware is in its Downloads subdirectory).

From there the steps are fairly straight forward:

1. Place ATV2 in DFU mode
2. Obtain SHSH blobs either by dumping them via iFaith or using the ones you have saved previously (if this fails I think you're SOL for this method)
3. Use default iOS firmware (either download or use the one in the Seas0npass folder) with iFaith to build signed ATV2 firmware (this firmware is ONLY for that particular ATV2 device as it signs the firmware with the SHSH blobs). The firmware downloads to your Desktop. (Note, this is technically the default iOS firmware and you can use iTunes to restore your ATV2 to stock if you wanted -- Note that you cannot use regular DFU mode, you have to use iFaith to put it in iReb DFU mode)
4. Use Total Commander to extract two dmg files from the Seas0npass firmware, save these somewhere. You can use these files multiple times to jailbreak any iFaith signed firmware.
5. Now use Total Commander and open the iFaith Signed Firmware and replace its two DMG file's with the two from step 5
6. You now have a jailbroken signed firmware for that particular ATV2 that can always be used to re-jailbreak your device. If you ever need to re-jailbreak, you can just skip to Step 7 with the signed jailbroken firmware in toe.
7. Use iFaith to put ATV2 in iReb DFU mode, use iTunes Shift+Restore and install the signed jailbroken iFaith firmware.

For my 2nd ATV2 all I had to do was build the signed iFaith firmware for that device, then place the Seas0npass dmg files in it and restore as in Step 7.

I should also add and clarify that now I have backed up, signed versions of the 4.4.4 firmware which I should always be able to re-jailbreak my devices with.
ATV2 running XBMC Eden (Skin: Quartz3)
Windows 7 running XBMC Eden (custom setup as I'm basically running it as a service)
MySQL installed on Windows 7 for sharing libraries
iOS Specific FAQ | Alternative ATV2 keymap | Default ATV2 keymap
Post log files to Pastebin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
solution found - Reboot because of beigelist, can't SSH1