Setting up Git with Aeon Nox
Before doing this, you should uninstall/delete the "old" aeon nox skin.

Follow these steps and you'll be grand.

First, download msysgit

While you are installing this, make sure you tick the bottom two boxes as it makes life a bit easier later on:

On the next screen it will ask whether you want to use OpenSSH or PLink. I recommend using OpenSHH unless you have a preferred SSH client, in which case use that.

Continue clicking Next until Git is fully installed.

Before running Git, I recommend you go here and get p4merge. p4merge is free and I like it for diffs. You can click browse by platform and then select the p4 visual merge tool. Grand, you're sorted.

Then run Git Gui.

Select the option "Clone an Existing Repository"

Under Source Location, type: git://github.com/BigNoid/Aeon-Nox.git

For Target Directory, you need to navigate to the directory where your addons (such as skins/etc) for XBMC are kept.
For me, on Windows 7, it is Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons

Then, once you're in the proper folder, click "Make New Folder" and call it something like Aeon Nox Git
then click "Clone". This will take a few minutes, depending on your connection. Don't panic if it takes a moment!

That will bring you to this:

Then go to the top menu and select "Edit" and then go to "Options". I use the settings below. Obviously you'll want to change your username Wink

Once that is done, you now have the git version of Aeon Nox. Updates will be much quicker than the clone.

To update, you simply need to click on the Fetch menu, followed by clicking 'origin'.

If there's any updates, it will grab them all.

Then, if there are edits to the master branch, I will typically merge them. If I click merge and there's no option to merge them with master, then I cancel out.

To merge, go to merge, then click local merge (or ctrl M)

If the master branch is available, then merge it.

If there are any conflicts, which there might be if you were editing the files yourself, you may have to resolve them. That is what the diff programme earlier is for.

Resolving is easy. You can merge the conflicts, edit them, or you can decide to keep the edits or your local version. Simply right click on the pane to the right of Unstaged Changes and you can select your option that way.

Once you're sorted, click stage changes, then commit.

That is if you want to use the GUI and deal with possible conflicts. If you aren't afraid of command line, then there's a much simpler way of doing this:

Still install the software above, as msysgit contains the gui and the command line. To get to the command line, go to where you installed msysgit. Run git-cmd.

A command box should arise.

Navigate to the addons directory. In this instance, DO NOT create a new directory.
In Windows 7 it is c:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons

So to do that type

cd "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\"
then hit return.

then type:

git clone git://github.com/BigNoid/Aeon-Nox.git
then hit return

It will take a few seconds.... Now it's installed Smile

Now, whenever you want to update this, just run git-cmd as you did before and then cd to the addons directory, as before.

Once there, type this: cd Aeon-Nox
then hit return
then type: git pull
then hit return.

You now have updated git.

So, the above are two ways, whether you want to use the gui or the command line.

With the command line, you can use scheduler and have it update every hour, every day, or whatever. Good luck and enjoy Smile
Thumbs Up 
Nice work. Thanks.
nice work.
to make it even easier, here are two very small bat scripts:
this one will delete the repo nox version and replace it with the GIT version
this one will update the GIT skin to newest version
so run the first one once to get things started and the pull.bat to update things within some seconds then.
only workin for windows installs which aren´t running in portable mode

to have it update automatically then:

Open Task Scheduler by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Task Scheduler.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Action menu, and then click Create Basic Task.

Type a name for the task and an optional description, and then click Next.

Choose Daily and set the options

Click Browse and choose the pull.bat, and then click Next.

Click Finish.

i think i don´t need to explain this for linux users Wink

EDIT: this requires having installed GIT for windows of course
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Thanks !
Thanks Fional for the instructions and screenshots (I'm a visual guy!!). And thanks Phil for the batch files. Now I can update with my remote. Smile
thanks! please sticky this
for some reason the pull.bat script from phil isnt working for me . I edited it accordingly but it dosent do a git pull, any idea what could be wrong here is the script
cd C:/Users/****/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/addons/skin.aeon.nox
git pull
you have to select during git installation that it works from command line.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Or add your git\bin path to the system environment variable PATH (through the Windows properties window (Win + Pause))
but I have always been using git pulls via command lines .. it is working when i independently do a git pull , just wnated to utilise your batch script for automation but somehow the window just disappears instantaneously.
@ Miyas : that went over my head could you please elaborate .
(2012-07-24, 11:36)shaktoo Wrote: @ Miyas : that went over my head could you please elaborate .
easiest way to fix it, is to select it during install:
or you add it manually like Miyas suggested.
@ solidsatras :picture speaks a thousand words indeed.. I think when I had installed git I just used the Git bash only option and thats what I do is git bash & then pull.
so manually adding of running git from windows command prompt is what I require .. and what Miyas suggested I am not able to grasp.. maybe a little hand holding here ..
otherwise shall I just reinstall git and chose the run git from windows command prompt option ?

Ya, pretty handy. Thanks fional
@shaktoo : i'll try to explain a little more but you will have to understand with my french screens ^^

So first, open your system properties window.
For that, you have 2 options :
- open it using the combined keys : Windows + Pause
- open an explorer window, right click on you computer icon and click on Properties

If you are under windows Vista or 7, you need to click on something that should be called System Advanced Parameters

Now choose the Advanced Parameters tab and click on the Environment Variables button :

In the system variables, look for the Path entry, select it and modify it :

At last, add the path to your Git\com directory, separating it from the other paths with a semi column ( ; ) like in the screen :

Validate everything, reboot your system and you're ready to rock Smile
I would say we should sticky this thread. I had to do all of this the hard way and this is the best instructions I have found yet. Please make this a sticky so people do not have to keep asking the same question over and over.

Great job fional!!!
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up Git with Aeon Nox1