Setting up a development environment
Hi guys
i'd like to start playing around with some of the xbmc code however am having some trouble.

I am following the wiki guide here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._using_Git
to setup my build environment but I am stuck at running buildmingwlibs.bat

When I run the script a new window with a white background loads. The title for this new window is building mingw dlls
here is the output on this windows.

################################
## compiling mingw libs
## NOPROMPT = 0
## MAKECLEAN =
################################
##### building ffmpeg dlls #####
0 [main] sh 1904 sync_with_child: child 8076(0x1A8) died before initialization with status code 0x1
4398 [main] sh 1904 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading dlls
./build_xbmc_win32.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
failed to compile /xbmc/system/players/dvdplayer/avcodec-52.dll

not too sure how to solve this.. can anyone help?
What windows are you running? Did you try to deactivate your virus scanner?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Runs fine for me on win7 x64. As Memphiz mentioned I'd check your virus scanner.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Using windows 8 without a virus scanner... or what ever the default is :S

I ran all the scripts again like 2 times and it works now...I now have a built version of eden.

I noticed it uses my userdata folder but I was hoping to keep it separateHuh anything I can do about this or just suck it up?

also would you advise using eden or should I just use the master branch and develop off that?
You can start XBMC with the -p switch which will tell XBMC to put the userdata stuff into the installation directory. I have visual studio set up with the -p switch and XBMC_HOME pointing to the location of the code. That way during debugging it will always use the language files etc from the actual code and not from my real XBMC installation.

If you want to develop new features or fix bugs you should always work with the master branch. Otherwise you might have a hard time rebasing your changes onto all the changes that were applied since Eden.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-07-19, 17:03)Montellese Wrote: You can start XBMC with the -p switch which will tell XBMC to put the userdata stuff into the installation directory. I have visual studio set up with the -p switch and XBMC_HOME pointing to the location of the code. That way during debugging it will always use the language files etc from the actual code and not from my real XBMC installation.

newbie question: how do I do that?

(2012-07-19, 17:03)Montellese Wrote: If you want to develop new features or fix bugs you should always work with the master branch. Otherwise you might have a hard time rebasing your changes onto all the changes that were applied since Eden.
OK, i'll move to master and hope things don't change as it will throw me off.

If you are using Visual Studio (or Visual C++) you right-click on the "XBMC" project in the solution explorer, then you click on "Properties" and go to "Configuration Properties" -> "Debugging". There in the field "Command Arguments" you set "-p" and in the field "Environment" you set "XBMC_HOME=X:/path/to/your/sources" and close the dialog. Now when you start the debugger it should automatically start XBMC in portable mode (-p) and set it's home directory to whatever you set in XBMC_HOME.
hmm for whatever reason it been really temperamental for me but I've finally got the master branch built and running in debug mode.

Thanks for helping me get started Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up a development environment0