Intel HTPC with ?Nvidia? Graphics
Hi everybody,

I am new to this Forum and already read a lot of Threads here so I decided to post my own build ( or lets call it my ''planed'' build ).
I am sorry for mistakes in my written english, i guess you understand what I mean but there might be some grammar mistakes ..

First of all: Thanks for the stickythreads up in the Hardware Forum, they helped me a lot to find out more about needed Hardware and any sugestions for Cases.

My Build is planed as followed:
Asus H61 mATX Mainboard (Asus P8H61 mATX )
Intel G840 + Cooler ( silence as possible )
Kingston Value RAM ( 4 Gigs und Dualchannel with 1,6Ghz )
HTPC Case MS Tech ( Got already )
Passive 300 Watts Powersuply (Got already )
- DVB-S2 Tuner ( not sure yet, but doesnt matter at the moment )
- HDD : 2 SSD's which i would like to use (Got already )

Problem: Graphics !

What do I want to do with this HTPC ?
I would like to get 2 Systems running on the HTPC
1. Windows 7 and some Games in Full HD on my TV with XBMC on it ( Dota 2, FIFA , no high details are needed ! )
2. Linux Distribution with XBMC and TV Frontend for Satelite TV

When I get in touch with all those things I asked me all the time: Why do I need to buy a expensive Nvidia Graphics to go on with Linux ? Some day ago I read an article about a Linux conference and the Headofficer of Linux saying: F*** off Nvidia ?! So i thought OK possibly there will come new drivers for AMD/ATI and Linux soon ( or they are already published ?! ) and I can plan my HTPC with an affordable ATI 6770 or something cheap passive from the ATI Group.

So what do I want to know:
Can I build up my HTPC with an ATI Graphics and use it for Linux with DTS HD sound and the videoacceleration or not , yet ?
Should I plan a Nvidia Graphics , if yes what do I need to play those Games in FUll HD with the lowest possible cost and do they support DTS HD ?
Which TV Frontend would you prefer on Linux ? Can i just embed a system in the XBMC on Linux ?

I'm sorry for all those questions but I realy hope some of you guys can help me out a bit.

Thanks for your support,
Cheers,
Mewsiq

Edit: I will post up everything on here ! So if i start the building phase i will post it all clean and represented with some nice pictures.
No need to apologize for your grammar or questions -- both are excellent. Good luck with your build. I am sure you'll get the answers you need here.
(2012-07-18, 21:41)Mewsiq Wrote: So what do I want to know:
Can I build up my HTPC with an ATI Graphics and use it for Linux with DTS HD sound and the videoacceleration or not , yet ?
Should I plan a Nvidia Graphics , if yes what do I need to play those Games in FUll HD with the lowest possible cost and do they support DTS HD ?
Which TV Frontend would you prefer on Linux ? Can i just embed a system in the XBMC on Linux ?

I'll have a go at answering for you.

Yes you need NVIDIA for DTS HD in linux, ATI wont work because of drivers
For a GPU the GT430 would be best for AE (HD audio) and LiveTV. I believe it will play those games, Its not really a gaming card but should handle most.

I use VDR as my PVR fronent, a lot of people use Tvheadend. Its down to personal choice. Head over to the PVR forums there are multiple posts on comparisons of the PVR backends.

PS my HTPC looks a lot like your specs, G850, with a GT430, runs smooth and I love having HD audio. I dual boot Openelec (frodo PVR build) and Ubuntu and have a separate server as a file server and TV server. I suggest you dual boot Windows (for gaming) and Openelec (frodo PVR) for XBMC.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Hi charlie,

thanks a lot for your reply.
I checked a lot of tests of the GT430 some days ago and I now know that the 430 cant run the games i want to play in Full HD resolution...
I guess i will try to get a GTX460 or 560 for my need... it seems to be overpowered but with them I can be sure that they will handle those games and i can possibly add a passive cooler or a low noise cooler.

Thanks for your sugestions with PVR i already got in touch with it but i thought it cant be embedded in XBMC :/ My fault...
I will try them both if my i got my Hardware.

Other sugestions are welcome =)

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPC with ?Nvidia? Graphics0