Problem with IR receiver not working on every boot
Hi!

I'm running a first gen asrock ion 330 (the one without ir and remote), with it I use the following remote and IR-receiver http://i17.fastpic.ru/big/2011/0310/c4/4...de21c4.jpg. I'm using XBMCbuntu (Eden) and my problem is that occasionally the IR-receiver won't work. When booting the HTPC is just doesn't "start" the receiver so the remote doesn't work. Rebooting the machine fixes it sometimes but often I need to turn it off and switch USB-port for it to activate again. It's very sporadically, the latest three days it has worked when I boot the machine in the morning, but today it didn't.

Has anyone else had the same problems? Could this be solved by another IR-receiver or is it purely software?

Any help is appreciated.

I had a similar issue. The problem was that modemmanager grabbed the ir receiver. Purging this ancient driver from my system resolved the problem.
(2012-07-22, 11:13)FernetMenta Wrote: I had a similar issue. The problem was that modemmanager grabbed the ir receiver. Purging this ancient driver from my system resolved the problem.

Thanks for the tip, however modemmanager doesn't seem to be installed.

Code:
xbmc@milkdudmedia:~$ sudo apt-get purge modemmanager
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package modemmanager is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.

(2012-07-22, 11:13)FernetMenta Wrote: I had a similar issue. The problem was that modemmanager grabbed the ir receiver. Purging this ancient driver from my system resolved the problem.

That's exactly the same it happened to me. Removing the driver fixed the issue as well.
How can you detect if something else is grabbing the usb device? Maybe it's something else besides the modemmanger that is messing up my receiver?
lsusb -t tells you what driver has grabbed the usb device.
I have a similar issue, same symptoms, working ~every other reboot. What I've discovered is the lirc device switches between /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc1. I can edit /ect/lirc/hardware.conf, change the lirc device, service lirc restart, and all is good. I haven't investigated any further but maybe same problem.

Note that you don't need lirc for a MCE remote.
So lirc might be the problem?
I had the same problem with my IR reciever from Philips SRM 5100.

After i installed XBMC buntu from XBMCfreak, 11.9, i have had no problems.
(Later on i switched to HP HTPC reviecer due to design)
When it happens next time I will look if some other driver has grabbed the device and look for the lirc device. I guess I could upgrade to 11.9 but I rather not since everything besides the remote is working pretty great.
I think I solved my lirc issue. Doing
Code:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I found "Nuvoton w836x7hg Infrared Remote Transceiver" Huh unknown to me. Then doing
Code:
dmesg | grep nuvoton
I found the driver being loaded by lirc. After adding the driver to "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" and rebooting, I no longer have a /dev/lirc1 only lirc0.

If you do -
Code:
ls -l /dev/lirc*
and find more than lirc0 it could be the same issue.
Seems like my device just isn't being started.

Code:
xbmc@milkdudmedia:~$ lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci_hcd/6p, 12M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci_hcd/6p, 480M

Code:
xbmc@milkdudmedia:~$ ls -l /dev/lirc*
ls: cannot access /dev/lirc*: No such file or directory

Code:
xbmc@milkdudmedia:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button"
P: Phys=PNP0C0C/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=3
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button"
P: Phys=LNXPWRBN/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event1
B: PROP=0
B: EV=3
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

Quite strange.
I have ordered another IR receiver from ebay now to try if that solves the problem. If not I guess there's something wrong with my ASRock that just isn't booting the usb devices properly.
Tried out the new IR, a lenovo branded one. It seemed to get power but it didn't work. I guess there were no drivers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with IR receiver not working on every boot0