Problem with IR receiver not working on every boot
It seems i have the same problem sometimes, I recently had a harddisk crash on my Asrock ION 330 so insted of buying and overpriced spinning disk i got a small SSD changed to AHCI and reinstalled the latest XBMCbuntu.

It has worked fine until the last week or two (uncertain exactly when it started occuring.) It might have been after updating ubuntu with sudo apt-get upgrade.

The IR reciever is an MCE dongle (official m$ i think), it has a green LED that's not lighting up when it's not detected. The only other USB attached device is a Logitech Dinovo mini keyboard.

When changing port it usually works again but it is quite annoying when it happends.

This is how it looks when it's detected, doing the same commands when it's not results in not detecting it at all as an imput device.
Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=0471 Product=060c Version=0101
N: Name="Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:060c)"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:04.0-2
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/rc/rc0/input4
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event4
B: PROP=0
B: EV=100013
B: KEY=fff 0 0 200 108fc32e 2376051 0 0 0 7 158000 4192 1 9e9680 0 0 10000000
B: MSC=10

xbmc@xbmc:~$ lsusb -t

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci_hcd/6p, 12M
    |__ Port 3: Dev 3, If 0, Class=hub, Driver=hub/3p, 12M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 12M
        |__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 12M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci_hcd/6p, 480M

EDIT:

@poserdonut: after looking at the picture in your original post it looks like i have exactly the same MCE remote, only difference beeing this one is completely black not half white...
I have a completley black one as well, bought the black/white one to see if it worked. So it might be this model of ir recivet that's janky. The problems that you describe match mine very well.

I just ordered a hp mce ir reciever, it will probably take a couple of weeks to get it but i'll report back.
The weird thing is that it has worked fine for years on my Asrock ION, and just now it has started to act up...

I did check the bios now to see if something else changed regarding USB when i was messing with the AHCI setting for the SSD disk but could not find anything that should affect it.

After saving settings in bios (turning off "night mode"), and booting up it worked again, then i tried sleepmode and wake it up and still working,

Tried turn off and on again and it did not even light up during boot.

Changed USB port again and now it lights up and flashed off/on during bootup and now it works again.

It seems something before starting the OS messes something up, I'm thinking i previously had it connected to one of the other ports but i don't remember witch.. If i recall correctly, one of the ports would work to power on the Asrock with the remote so i have to do some tests when i find the original remote (using a logitech harmony now.)

Yeah, mine was working good for a while but now it seems to never work, like it's degrading but that's just silly. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with IR receiver not working on every boot0