Linux ION2 / Zbox no menu sounds - Solved!
I'm using a Zbox ID-31B.

Code:
CPU: Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz, Dual-core)
GPU: NVIDIA ION w/512MB DDR3
CHIPSET: NM10 Express

I've been using OpenELEC for a while but had some suspend problems with it. Just switched to Xbmcbuntu, which has fixed my suspend problem.

On initial installation the menus and SD videos both had audio, but most HD videos didn't. I played around in the settings for a while and got sound in HD videos, but then lost it in the menus. I can't seem to get it back. I'm currently using default ALSA in the XBMC sound configuration.

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

For OpenELEC I had to set this line in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xff04,0xff02 bdl_pos_adj=0xffff,0x0040

and this as my /etc/asound.conf

Code:
pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia

before the audio would work. I copied those from someone else. Perhaps that gives a clue on how to get things working. I tried using these, but no dice (unless I have an XBMC setting wrong).

Can anyone help me restore menu / GUI sounds?
I get menu sounds after a completely fresh installation. The problem only occurs once I reboot for the first time. Does that give any clues?
Okay. After several hours I finally figured it out.

Clean install, then use putty to shell into the box and create /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf and /etc/asound.conf with the lines shown above. Rebooted.

Disabled DTS and AC3 such that the audio settings section looked like this then rebooted again.

On reboot, menu sounds and video sounds seemed perfect. Hope that helps someone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ION2 / Zbox no menu sounds - Solved!0