Which cpu for transcoding on the fly
Hi,

I'm streaming local content over the web to my laptop, this means that the video needs to be transcoded because of my bandwidth. Then I'm wondering which processor would be best for the job. The two I'm leaning towards is the i3 2125T or i5 3450S, if someone can make some arguments to make my decision easier it would be very helpful.
Since transcoding is CPU bound, i5 in your list is a better CPU for transcoding than i3 in your list......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
i7
But my current i3 530 does it with 50% cpu usage, so maybe the i5 is overkill. Will the i5 use alot more power or will the ideal and load wattage be the same?
I also need transcoding on the fly for streaming via internet to my laptop or tablet.

What to choose today:
¨
1) A10-5800
2) i3 Ivy
3) i5 Ivy

Thanks for your help.
for cpu stuff intel is better than amd. And all modern x86 cpu's are capable and strong enough to transcode. In other word, you need other arguments (like tdp, total system price and total system features) to select a cpu (even better: soc). As for arm, this question would make more sense since this platform isn't yet so powerfull. So for arm, make sure the chip is a modern a9/a15 and supports neon.
Intel CPU with HD4000 for Quick Sync encoding.
Thank you both, but in this review http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/amd-a...p-part-2/5 A10 is simiar as i3 or A10 is even slightly better than i3.

i5 is definitely more power, but I think that also i3 with Quick Sync would be more power than A10, but by this review NOT...
QuickSync encoding is not as good as it could be. For pure CPU power, Intel trumps AMD currently, regardless of what the reviews say. A 3Ghz Intel will perform better than a 3Ghz AMD. I have an i3-3225 and I transcode to a roku 2 XD via plex, while playing something in XBMC without issue.

I should also point out that in that review, the A10-5800K (which is 3.8 Ghz quad core) is barely beating out the i3-3220 (which is 3.3Ghz dual core with hyper threading). As well, at the end of that page he shows some preliminary results of some newer software he is using for x264 testing, which shows the i3-3220 to have a couple fps lead over the A10-5800k.
My ivy bridge i3-3220T has been transcoding extremely well.
Yes, in this test http://www.hardcoreware.net/amd-trinity-review/10/ is i3 with QickSync much more power than A10.
Transcoding I always think either i5-2500K (formerly) or i5-3570K (nowadays). It is nice to know i3 does a good job too.
(2012-10-26, 20:12)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Transcoding I always think either i5-2500K (formerly) or i5-3570K (nowadays). It is nice to know i3 does a good job too.

OK, thank you. I take Intel due to QuickSync power. Is there difference in QuickSync power between i3 3225 and i5 3570? Both have iGPU HD 4000 and because QuickSync is GPU thing, I think it will be almost same, or not?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which cpu for transcoding on the fly0