XBMCBuntu Neon Skin
I've created 2 threads now 3 counting this one and I dont believe anyone has the answer. Whenever I use any skin except what comes with XBMC, I cant shutdown through the shutdown option in the skin. It hangs up and I have to hold the power button. One person mentioned maybe talking to the skin developer. Since neon is my favorite skin, I decided to start here. The original thread has the debug log and even a youtube video of what is happening. Thanks.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136588 Original Thread

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136823 New Thread
Edit the \720p\Includes_Home_Horizontal.xml and change line 303:

Code:
<onclick>XBMC.Shutdown()</onclick>
to
Code:
<onclick>XBMC.Powerdown()</onclick>

That should fix it for you.
-stoli-
I have a way of making this happen but I have another question. How would I go about doing this in XBMCBuntu? I'm not home yet so I was going to look at it in a virtualbox but I cant open anything in the Linux GUI part. How are people doing anything in this?

Edit: Also, thanks for your reply. I will do this when I get home.
If you installed Neon from the Passion repo just wait for the update from there - I pushed the fix earlier today so it should update tonight or tomorrow at the latest. As for XBMCBuntu - I've never touched it so I can't help there.
-stoli-
LOL, thanks for your help and replies. Cant wait to get home and try this out.

(2012-07-25, 22:12)stoli Wrote: If you installed Neon from the Passion repo just wait for the update from there - I pushed the fix earlier today so it should update tonight or tomorrow at the latest. As for XBMCBuntu - I've never touched it so I can't help there.

It worked stoli. Thanks for your help. I assume that the other skins have this same issue. It doesnt matter, this is the one I like. I do want to check out that Metropolis in ur sig though.
Glad that fixed it for you. Give Metropolis a try, it's nothing like Neon but a slick skin nonetheless.
-stoli-
(2012-07-25, 21:59)malibu327 Wrote: I have a way of making this happen but I have another question. How would I go about doing this in XBMCBuntu? I'm not home yet so I was going to look at it in a virtualbox but I cant open anything in the Linux GUI part. How are people doing anything in this?

I realize you already figured this out, but the easiest way to make "behind the scenes" changes in XBMCBuntu is by using a program called PuTTY. It can be downloaded for free from here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtat...nload.html

Install it on any other PC in your network. Its a very simple program. Once you have it loaded, input the IP address of your XBMCbuntu box and it should immediately connect to the machine. It will ask for your login name and password. These should be the same as the ones you chose when you first installed XBMCbuntu.

Once you are logged in, you see what is basically the Linux terminal. You'll need to know the basics of navigating Linux this way, but its pretty simple. For making changes to XML or other text files, there is a simple text editor that works called NANO. You'll need to edit files with root access, so you'll have to type SUDO NANO FILENAME.XML whenever you want to edit something.

If you've never done it before, it sounds complicated, but its not. You can even install applications from within PuTTY that will show up in the GUI when you drop to the desktop outside of XBMC.

constrictor thank you for replying. i have putty and a few more ssh apps to get into it. I was just wondering how to do stuff like that from the gui.
and yes, if does seem complicated. things i dont understand is say something simple like installing java for it. I downloaded the version for linux ubuntu but when i double click on it to install it does nothing. how would i have downloaded and installed if from the terminal window?
(2012-07-30, 15:56)malibu327 Wrote: constrictor thank you for replying. i have putty and a few more ssh apps to get into it. I was just wondering how to do stuff like that from the gui.
and yes, if does seem complicated. things i dont understand is say something simple like installing java for it. I downloaded the version for linux ubuntu but when i double click on it to install it does nothing. how would i have downloaded and installed if from the terminal window?

Anything you can install from the GUI, installs the same way from the Terminal.

I am not an expert on Linux by any means, so what I am about to say is going to be extremely simplified and might not even be totally correct, but here is how I understand how this part works...

A Linux distro can be broken down into a three major layers. You have the Linux Kernel which is the base layer and it contains the functionality of the whole OS and it is what directly interacts with the hardware of the machine its running on. All flavors of Linux (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, etc) use this same Linux kernel.

Then there is the operating system layer. The operating system is where different flavors of Linux start to separate. The operating system contains the device drivers that allow the hardware to interact with the software. Ubuntu is a very flexible flavor of Linux because it contains a wide variety of hardware support through drivers and other code that allow it to interact with the Kernel.

On top of the operating system is the Shell layer. The shell layer is where the operating system and the kernel interact with the user. The Shell can take many forms, from a simple Terminal prompt, to a fancy GUI. One of these fancy GUIs is called Gnome. Gnome is the default GUI in Ubuntu. Other flavors of Linux use a GUI called KDE. You can accomplish almost all of the same tasks with the operating system in the Shell layer with a Terminal environment as you could with Gnome or any other user interface.

So, to partially answer your question, how would you install java through SSH as opposed to doing it through the desktop...the answer is the same! You just need to know the correct application name and command to do it.

Anything you install in XBMCbuntu through PuTTY applies to the entire operating system. Dont think of the desktop as some other "part" of the OS. The desktop environment interacts with the underlying layers of the OS in the same way as the Terminal does. Regardless if you install something from the Terminal or the Desktop, the effect is the same.

I dont know the command to specifically install java from the Terminal, but Im sure a quick google search will give you the command.
Great man, thanks for your detailed reply.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu Neon Skin0