(SOLVED)How long does YOUR Library Update take?
Mine seems to take a long time, but I'm unsure. Got me to wondering how long it takes for everyone else, as I'm thinking mine may be taking longer than it should. so...

I currently have : 162 movies, and 60 TV shows with 2600 episodes

Stored on: 2x 5400rpm drivers

Using: Q9550 3.4hz, 4gb DDR2, XBMC 11.0. Plugin autoupdate is off.

I have my XBMC set to exclude about half the TV folders, as they are finished production.

From XBMC.log: "VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 06:20"

It sure seems like a long time. Is this expected, considering specs and amount of content?? Is there anything that can be done to speed it up? Am i jsut being an impatient whiner? I defrag using Defraggler every 2-4 weeks, rarely do big data moves, and I try to keep unnecessary services off. THis machine is only used for media, after all.

Any help, suggestions, other Scan times, or a slap woudl be great.
It depends on a number of things. First and foremost, how you're sharing the files. Secondly whether or not those files are rarred or not (this slows things down quite a bit).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Also, your internet connection speed for actually fetching data is a big factor.
I have about 400 movies and 600 TV shows. Takes about 30 sec to update the library when I'm adding new stuff.

Specs in signature. Ohh... and my internet connection is a 15 Mbit cable connection.

System: XBMC Gotham 13.1, HTPC: AMD 6450 1GB, Intel i5 3470S, 8GB DDR3, ASUS P8H61-M PRO, OCZ SSD Agility 3, NYXboard Hybrid Remote
Surround: NAD M15HD2, NAD M25, B&W 803 Diamond, B&W DB1, B&W HTM4, Pioneer KRP-600A / Panasonic 65VT50
I wondered the same thing. I suspect it because my files are on my nas but 20min seems a bit extreme. I have ~850 movies and 2500 episodes across 85 different shows. Even when theres only 2 new additions it takes this long. Is there a way to speed this up?

all my episodes are sorted into folders and by season. Movies in folders with pre scraped info. All files are on my nas. Using standard samba shares to connect. Database is default. None of my files are zipped or iso and internet is a 20mb connection.
.lan is 100mb

Any help would be appreciated
Forgot to mention that my box is an asrock 330HT
--Dascmo

\\ OpenElec \ Frodo \ ASROCK 330HT \\ AEON NOX 4.0 \\

Free Online Storage: Copy

^^HIGHLY RECOMMENDED^^
Strange... I thought it took longer last time I did this, but an update was done in under 5 minutes (I had previously updated) 3500 movies, 164 TV shows 4100 episodes. Certainly not intolerable and faster than what some others are getting in this thread.
Well I have used The Extrator to unpack about 90% of the previously rar-filled folders that I scan, adn it reduced teh scan time by 50 seconds. A pretty godo improvement, but certainly shy of 30 seconds.. even when i have no new media, it still takes over 5 minutes. ANd i have 50 megabit internet,.

Though many of the folders I've excluded from the Scan still contain many multi-part .rar riles - would this still slow the process?

Dascmo, if you go to 'Videos' (where you set sources) and select a folder with new shows, bring up the Context Menu and select 'Scan for New Content', it'll scan that folder only. A bit of a pain if you're updating only a single episode or movie in many folders, and I tend to do . But it's quick.

I also noticed that for the root folders that are scanned, they contain a %RECYCLE% bin that XBMC tried to scan. Even after emptying the Recycle Bin in the OS, these folders
tend to keep some data, so excluding those helped a bit, too.

Well I've done a couple things to try to speed it up, but the difference is minimal. I thought I'd delete my XBMC.log, start XBCM tun a scan, and post teh log, if anyone cares enough to see if they can spot something I'm missing that could be the culprit. This a scan with no new content detected - still takes over 5 minutes :

http://pastebin.com/3We3ZcRM

Whoops. double.
TV shows is nice and fast. What's slow there is movies. Why, I'm not sure. It shouldn't be anywhere near that slow. To get the "skipping dir due to no change" message basically it has:
1. Fetched the folder.
2. Hashed the folder (basically a simple computation of the data from 1).
3. Compared the hash with the hash in the db (a db lookup).
The most logical explaination is that the directory fetch is very slow for some reason. What is A: ? A network drive, or a local harddisk?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

A: contains all my movies, and all my media is stored on 2x local internal sata2 drives.

So i removed all but 3 .rar-ed movies, rescanned everything back, then did another scan with no new content. Still took an even 5 minutes. Yes, almost all of that was on the A: drive.

EDIT: I thought I'd try TheMovieDB as a scraper instead if IMDB. No difference.
800 movies, 250 odd TV shows, god only knows the total episode count. Takes about 1 - 2 minutes I'd say. Source in Win 7 serving using NFS (which is much faster than SMB especially dealing with big file lists, in my (tested) experience.

One irritation - I'd really prefer it to scan TV before movies as TV gets updated way more often....but I don' think that it is possible? Anyone?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Okay now it takes 14 seconds if there is no new content. Huzzah!

The problem was that I had my collections - Star Trek, Star Wars, Spiderman, LOTR, KIll Bill, Coen Brothers, Futurama, etc. - each in a single folder. With Recursive Scanning turned on, the Video Scan look into every single ExtraThumbs , Extrafanart, and Subs folder i had. Now that I have every single movie in it's own folder in the root, my scan is as fast as I expected. It was a bit of a pin to do, but worth it.
Thank you thank you thank you. I had no idea what scan recursively did, but turning it off sped my updates from 5-7 minutes to 30 seconds.
where is the setting for "recursive scanning"?
where is the setting for "recursive scanning"?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(SOLVED)How long does YOUR Library Update take?0