Entry level XBMCbuntu device
Hi there,

I want to build an htpc for my parents. It's only for movies (most of them not 1080p, but some might be). Nothing fancy like 3D or gaming hardware is needed. It should be quiet, current-saving and have remote support (almost) out of the box. I have some linux experience, but I would rather have a device where I don't have to read gazillion manuals on how to wreck my kernel :p

The setups in the sticky topic looked quite good, but they seem somewhat out of date and almost none of the mentioned casings can be purchased in germany.
That's why I'm only looking for a mainboard and CPU (and a GPU if needed) that meet the given requirements.

Any ideas?
What do you mean when you say "have battery support (almost) out of the box"?
(2012-07-30, 14:00)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: What do you mean when you say "have battery support (almost) out of the box"?

I don't know why I wrote battey. I, actually meant to say "remote support". Thanks!
Ahhh,...that makes sense. Hahaha

Are you looking for the remote to power on and power off the device.
I use Windows 7,..and this keyboard and remote combo:
IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R (Black)
Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition

My wife and I use the keyboard,...while my son uses the remote exclusively.
I have the power off buttons configured to put my system into Sleep mode,...then anytime a button is pressed on the keyboard or remote,..the system is instantly on.

I will also be purchasing this remote:
CE Compass Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse PC Remote Control
Oh yes, thank you, another important point! It would be great if it was possible to turn the device on with a remote. Standby or Sleep mode would probably not do it since my parents are quite green and paranoid, so the current home entertainment system has a master power button, which is turned off after usage.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Ahhhh, the infamous "master power button" Wink

Take a look at this thread where Power on remotes are discussed.
That subject has been talked about a lot, so you might also want to ask your question in those specific threads.
Those guys are passionate about finding a solution to that question.
Good luck!
Sometime the chassis itself comes with a remote that can power on the PC. Take a look at this one that's available in Germany: http://www.ms-tech.de/ger/index.php/prod...6/pdid/284. I supply this case for the USA and can tell you the remote receiver is hooked to the standby power of the power supply and the power switch is routed through the IR receiver as well so it can be turned on via remote.

The chassis with it's 120W power supply can handle a Intel or AMD solution such as the Intel G530/G620 or the AMD A6-3500. With a low-profile CPU cooler and SSD that'd be about all you need. An AMD E-350 solution *might* work but it depends a lot on the content and the software so beware. Usually, the Intel G530 solution is similar in cost to the E-350 but it'll run circles around it and will run Windows very well. It's also been shown to run OpenELEC very well which might be good for a parents' HTPC.

I have no affiliation with MS-TECH.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Entry level XBMCbuntu device0