Start XBMC without server turned on?
Hi all. First of all: I like XBMC a lot, but encountered a small issue. I have a file server which is not turned on at all times. On this server I have stored my movies. I have a XBMC client at my livingroom and bedroom. I want to sync it all with a MySQL database installed on the file server. This works perfectly except in this case: my music is located on the client at the livingroom and when I want to listen to music there but the file server is turned off, XBMC will not start. It stays at the splash screen until I tun on the file server. So my question: is there a way to let XBMC start without a server connection even if the advancedsettings.xml tells it to look for it?
No. XBMC is looking for the database files. If this PR gets done though, XBMC will be able to send a WOL command to your fileserver to turn it on when XBMC needs to access it. That way if it is off, XBMC will wake the file server then continue booting once the server is online and accessible.
Thank you for your quick reply. In this case turning on the file server automatically is not a problem, can be scripted using WOL, but having to run multiple machines just to listen to music is. I will try to make a work-around which can be simple enough for my wife to understand, but not to have the file server running all day doing nothing...
Would a separate profile with only a local music database do the trick for you?
I'm not sure: at the living room, XBMC is powered by a PC which is connected to the TV and a separate HiFi system. To listen only at music, we leave the TV off but control XBMC using the official remote app on a tablet. This app cannot connect to XBMC when it does not start... My ultimate goal is to create a dummy proof setup with the use of minimal hardware, like the good old CD player behaves. Turn it on and press play... My best guess is to create a dual boot and make the default one be the music-play-version... Thanks for your advice though!
If you use 2 profiles, XBMC will boot letting you choose your profile. Based on that profile it will either use the mySQL database or local database. Just move your current advancedsettins.xml file into the profile for mySQL usage. Set the "audio" profile as the default profile and disable the login screen. Then, switch to the other profile when it is time to watch stuff from the server.
That is a good solution, thanks a lot. I have not looked at the profiles capabilities yet, but as you describe it, it might work. Disabling the login screen is the key to success I think and it sounds better than creating a dual boot...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Start XBMC without server turned on?0