(Mac Mini) Eden - Mountain Lion - Memory leak during playback
Hi,

I'm experiencing memory leak during playback of videos in XBMC Eden 11.0. I'm running Mountain Lion on the latest Mac Mini, 2,5 GHz model with ATI Radeon 6630M graphics and 4 GB of RAM.

Whenever I start XBMC the memory usage shown in the system info is 31%. When I start playing a movie, the memory usage rapidly increases and within half an hour into the movie the memory usage has reached 100%. This leaves just between 10-15 MB of free memory. I first noticed this when I finished watching my first movie, as the GUI was almost impossible to navigate as it became unresponsive.

Looking in the activity monitor in OS X, it shows the same amount of free memory as XBMC (10-15 MB). However, the "inactive" memory is more than 2,5 Gb. Also, in the XBMC process the amount of "real memory" is only around 300 MB.

The memory usage will start to decrease, extremely slowly, when the movie is stopped. The movies are on an external USB hard drive and what's strange is that if I unmount the drive, all memory becomes available instantly, and XBMC shows 31% again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue using Mountain Lion?

I have reinstalled XBMC (also deleting the XBMC folder in Application Support) and I have even made a clean install of Mountain Lion, but the issue remains. I haven't installed any other programs in OSX, or add-ons within XBMC.
This sound like mountain lion uses as much memory as it can get for disk cache.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Any suggestions on how i can fix this?
No. I'm new to ml like anyone else. Google?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I have this problem also. Mac Mini with 4GB RAM but after possible watching 1 short TV show of say 30 minutes XBMC complains about no memory and eventually crashes. I would love to get to the bottom of this as I was using FrontRow on Lion (with the old hack) previously on this machine but I thought surely XBMC will be stable enough replacement at this stage but my family aren't happy and I really don't want to have to re-install Lion on this computer.
I can tell ya that i watched about 3h live tv in a row without these issues on ML.
The problem is not with streamed material, only with content from a disk
No problem here too with ML and a mac mini 2009, the one with the 9500M nvida vard
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
(2012-08-04, 03:27)Felipe Wrote: The problem is not with streamed material, only with content from a disk

I have a mid 2010 Mac Mini and encounter the same problems. By chance, have you found a resolution? More annoyingly, even when I simply copy a file from a shell, Mountain Lion chews through free memory, marks it inactive, then doesn't try to use it. I know that's not an XBMC problem, but in case it relates, I thought I'd mention it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(Mac Mini) Eden - Mountain Lion - Memory leak during playback0