Nightly builds on 1st Generation AppleTV
I tried and failed. Read all about it:

How to build XBMC

The part where I tried to build Crystalbuntu begins with post #71
I have crystalubuntu on the machine now and apparently the build packages are screwed up in hardy, so sam says that we must wait until CrystalUbuntu 2 is out. Which I don't believe there is an ETA. So you can't install nighties on an appletv.
(2012-08-13, 23:46)tdhz77 Wrote: I have crystalubuntu on the machine now and apparently the build packages are screwed up in hardy, so sam says that we must wait until CrystalUbuntu 2 is out. Which I don't believe there is an ETA. So you can't install nighties on an appletv.

Can you point me to the thread where you got this information?
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?...1#pid16041

He said to wait for CB2 and that he had not built XBMC since March. I've read the whole thread.

Edit: I think he is referring to something else entirely.

I must say I've been using the original OS on appletv, and wish I had switched to crystalubuntu a long time ago, I guess I assumed it was only for Broadcom xx12/15 owners. I feel about 2 years late to a party.
I've read that whole thread as well. He never comes out and says that the build packages are screwed up. If they were, then why does he make a post in June detailing how to build?

I'm also happy with Crystalbuntu on my ATV1. However, I am not happy that the version I'm running is not database compatible with the XBMC versions I'm running on other platforms (Mac, ATV2, Raspberry Pi).
(2012-08-14, 01:00)Buadhai Wrote: I've read that whole thread as well. He never comes out and says that the build packages are screwed up. If they were, then why does he make a post in June detailing how to build?

I'm also happy with Crystalbuntu on my ATV1. However, I am not happy that the version I'm running is not database compatible with the XBMC versions I'm running on other platforms (Mac, ATV2, Raspberry Pi).

I'm in the same boat. I've downgraded to eden, which I really like the frodo's bitstreaming and database support.

When I build the package I get a python library error.

Are you running in root? sudo? I believe I ran 'su' to run all commands in root.
Try that.
I did eventually catch on to running all commands as root.

The error that stumped me was:

Code:
DVDStateSerializer.cpp:266: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
make[1]: *** [DVDStateSerializer.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreams.a] Error 2

Way over my head.

I understand the difficulties the developers have keeping different versions in sync. And, it's my own fault for wanting the Raspberry Pi to share the library. That forced me to update all my other installations to a recent nightly build which is not available for the ATV1.

Unfortunately, my family doesn't understand:

"Hey Dad, how come the Apple TV in the bedroom forgot that we already watched a bunch of stuff?"

You get the picture.
"Hey son - its because that you have something to ask about".
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nightly builds on 1st Generation AppleTV0