• 14(current)
Perfect playback of 23.976 fps possible with nVidia?
Then your doing something wrong or your Tv doesnt support the modes, it also depends on what you call stuttering. SOme shots like when camera is panning @24fps source you can never get 100% smooth playback and in that case live with it, 24p is just not what ppl think it is.

uNi
I guess this is as good as it gets
<mode id="0x1e7" name="1920x1080" w="1920" h="1080" hz="23.97606" current="true" preferred="false"/>

PHP Code:
ModeLine "1920x1080_23.976" 74.11 1920 2557 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1124 +hsync +vsync 
My definition of "stutter" is a small frame jump, like instead of playing frame 1->2->3 it plays 1->3. It's easiest to see on a slow pan. It isn't constant, and the gaps between the stutter seem to vary. Typically at least a minute between stutters. If I skip back 10 seconds after I see it happen, the stutter doesn't happen in the same spot. Usually I'd have to wait another minute or so for it to happen again after rewinding. Much like this guy: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91013

It's almost as if the audio clock is still the master and XBMC is dropping video frames even though I have "Video Clock (drop/dupe audio)" selected.

If it helps, my PS3 plays 24p blu-rays smooth as butter. To me, that means I can rule out the TV/av receiver as the issue.

I'm going to try a minimal OS install next (from your signature) to see if that does anything different.
This perfect playback much depends on audio and I doubt in any case, such things like 100% free stutter panning shots exist in any hardware since the limitation is much one that 24fps is limited by design. It was designed to hold audio in sync with picture in first talkie movies back in 1952 or there about. It can be made to look minimized by some pulldown or blurring but its never really gone. PS3 is probably pulling some trickery but yet I bet this stutter is still there.

uNi
@iissmart please post a debug log and let me know the time when you noticed the stutter.
Just in case you have this useless GPU temperature polling in advanced settings, please remove. THIS DOES HARM!
(2013-03-08, 00:00)uNiversal Wrote: This perfect playback much depends on audio and I doubt in any case, such things like 100% free stutter panning shots exist in any hardware since the limitation is much one that 24fps is limited by design. It was designed to hold audio in sync with picture in first talkie movies back in 1952 or there about. It can be made to look minimized by some pulldown or blurring but its never really gone. PS3 is probably pulling some trickery but yet I bet this stutter is still there.

uNi

That's a rather misinforming post here.

Stuttering in this context of video is when the video skips frames or shows some for longer than others in a non regular pattern that is easily noticeable and distracting to the viewer. 24fps video by nature does not exhibit such a problem provided the the display device is capable of refreshing at a multiple of this frame rate, which all TVs/LCDs/LEDs/Plasma/Projectors made in the past 5-6 years at least are capable of, excluding possibly a couple of percent of no name chinese ones.

frame rate has nothing whatsoever to do with stutter in terms of the actual number of frames per second by itself. Pans on 24fps material may not appear "smooth" in the sense of "butter smooth 60fps video" but that doesn't mean it should look like an awkward stutter or distracting. A properly working setup would not distract anyone even at that low frame rate, which we all quite happily watch in the cinema.

The PS3 is certainly not pulling off any tricks to blur/smooth things out!
(2013-03-08, 10:56)FernetMenta Wrote: Just in case you have this useless GPU temperature polling in advanced settings, please remove. THIS DOES HARM!

Just had to ask about this, I do get the GPU temp while in the "system>hardware" window, but I don't have any specific settings for it in my advancedconfig.xml.
So if its "bad" how do we disable it?
(2013-03-02, 11:11)FernetMenta Wrote: Even if you have 23.97600000000000000000 you should enable "sync playback to display". Without this option the clock is not in sync with the display. Sooner or later it gets out of sync and a frame will be dropped.
23.97576 is good enough. You can set video clock as master and audio skip/dupe. The change in speed is not noticeable. You can easily watch a whole movie without seeing a single drop/dupe of an audio packet.

Can you explain why this is so? Why is without the "sync playback to display" option, the clock not in sync with the display? Is this a typical 23.976 issue?

And regarding the option itself: Can I make use of the "sync playback to display" option, when playing DTS-HD MA tracks ?
This is not related to 23.976. Consider 2 guys want to meet in one year from now. Each one just has a wrist watch to measure the time. It is very unlikely that they both will come together at exactly the same time. The same happens to dvd player and display. Both have a separate clock unless you sync to a single source, the display.

Quote:Can I make use of the "sync playback to display" option, when playing DTS-HD MA tracks

It is supposed to work. But there is a issue in calculating the length of the audio queue which may show more frequently when the clock source is the display. This has to be fixed.
I just used a stopwatch to time the gaps between stutters on my system, and it appears to be a very precise stutter every 41 seconds. Sometimes I saw it 41 seconds apart, sometimes 1:22s apart (41*2), sometimes 2:03s apart (41*3). Actually the longer I watched the larger the multiple became (1, 2, 3, etc). So, I'm not crazy! Smile

This is a fresh reinstall (just today) using the minimal script (2.6.0 stable here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369 ). I then copied the xorg.conf using these steps (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1220215 ), enabled Vsync, auto deinterlace, Adjust Display to match refresh rate set to Start/Stop, A/V sync method set to video clock (drop/dupe audio), and set up the audio to output over HDMI through my nvidia card.

Here is a log: http://pastebin.com/zZv9amWH
Could you play the same video with passthrough and lpcm for audio disabled and post the log?
Like this? http://i.imgur.com/26RnlEe.jpg

Log: http://pastebin.com/iSL8WE3T

I was receiving 7.1 LPCM during playback. Appeared to stutter the same as before.
Can you set speaker config to 2.0 and try again? I think that audio puts high load on the GPU. I can't think of no other reason why a GT 430 needs up to 55ms to decode a single frame. Interestingly the log does not show any frame drops which makes be believe that something in the driver causes this issue.
New log: http://pastebin.com/156SZnuU

Audio set to HDMI, 2.0 channel, all options disabled. Still stutters.

I thought maybe it was the low power settings in the BIOS that could be slowing it down, but I set everything to high performance mode and it didn't appear to change anything.

I think the nvidia driver defaults to adaptive power savings for the GPU, I'll see if I can find a way to adjust that.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Perfect playback of 23.976 fps possible with nVidia?0