easy access for newbies?
There is also the possibility of 4/5/7.0 It might make more sense to break out the Sub option enitrely. Then show either 2, 4, 5, 7 or 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 based on whether or not the Separate sub option is selected
(2012-08-07, 21:40)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: There is also the possibility of 4/5/7.0 It might make more sense to break out the Sub option enitrely. Then show either 2, 4, 5, 7 or 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 based on whether or not the Separate sub option is selected
Nice save, just before i started packing the first version Big Grin

Here is the first version. Zip file (36Mb). Haven't deleted unnecessary files yet, they are in a trash folder.
Feel free to browse and click through it. It won't make any changes to your settings yet.

Dropbox link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86022650/skin.setup.0.1.zip

No and quit open settings atm so you can easily switch to your own skin again.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
imho it doesn't make sense to describe what aac or dts is. The user needs to know if his receiver supports it. Either show the icons of these formats and tell the user he should look on his receiver if such a logo exists there Smile - or just tell him rtfm.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yeah, but i know so very little about audio and receivers i kind of just copied wiki to fill it up.
I agree that it is a good idea to show the logos and tell them to look on the device or in the manual.

Also, i believe i'm missing the option for HDMI with directsound... derp. Which, as basic as it is, should almost be default.
How many first time users would have wasapi or s/pdif anyway?
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
I agree the Icons should be added, but I would include the text too. If nothing else, it would look a little sparse with just the icons.

To be nit-picky, on the next go-round, you might replace "computer" with "device," considering the apple and android devices

Looking good though, keep it up! If you need help with scripting something, I can lend a hand there too
(2012-08-08, 00:07)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: If you need help with scripting something, I can lend a hand there too
Yes, yes, plz jump in. Community effort and everything. All the buttons need to be made working...
And i've never done that before either. Plus some will need dirty hacks (on proof of concept).

I was actually thinking of writing everything to like a temporary settings file.
And then commit on exit or apply or something smarter.

I say this because otherwise, going to the next screen (or just having a look around) would already change settings.

Also, right now i have still kind of used a start screen (the one where you choose what to go edit).
But maybe making it completely linear is easier?
It might be shorter and faster. But the downside would be in expansion and oversight (huh, what am i editing in this page??)

Judge for yourself, here is a linear version:
-link removed, see next post-

(yes i somehow managed to mess up with the bottom 2 choices. I'll look at it when i wake up.)
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Improved linear version.

Changes
-Added audio codec logos
-Radiobuttons can be turned on and off (but won't change your settings)
-Added python scripts for file browsing dialog and ok.
-Changed some font stuff to allow capitals in labels.
-Changed some questions.
-Added final page (the congrats you are done page) would you like to apply these settings.
-Added addon picture

10-08
-added services page
-glitches fixed
-rewrote welcome page

Link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86022650/skin.setup.0.2.zip
Skin won't change any settings at all!

Screeny for the lazy:
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Nice!
Thnx!

So this would be that time where someone tells me how you guys write toxml()...
Including how to specify the element from the onclick ect. Like <rendermethod>.
How to specify path and filename to write in..
And how to make sure it overwrites existing elements.

On the first page i made the "yes" button, that starts the setup, copy guisettings and sources to a temp file in my skin/scripts.

Code:
shutil.copy2(xbmc.translatePath("special://

So i can edit those instead of the real thing.
Oh and the best example would be, how to grab the path that my browse script returns and write that to sources.
Haha Nod

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@texaco I really don't know how to go about your "Step 4: Services". Could you be more specific? How would that look? Draw me a picture if need be. And i'd like to set scan on startup as default.

@Ferdi-T Now that we have some structure. Could you turn that doc into a list of settings that are in now. And settings that still should be added/considered? Then once that's final we can go through the settings files for their real names/tags/nodes.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Wow even though its a mockup its really coming along Big Grin
Been rather busy with work but services can be explained rather simple:

-Define the name for the xbmc instance
-enable/disable remote control options
-enable/disable airplay
-enable/display UPNP

If you add these options to the skin ill add the necessarry text.
Think we can start with these and add more if we find it necessary Smile

Ill test the skin as soon as i can and give my feedback!

Services added, so go ahead.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Integrated in skin?

Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Hi, very interesting project. For the settings page where the user select the speaker configuration like 2.0, 5.1 etc, maybe a graphic showing the configuration and changing depending, what configuration is selected might help. Icon examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:5_1_ch..._label.svg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:I...Ruhnke.jpg
http://de.kioskea.net/contents/audio/son...1-7-1.php3

But I think they must be redone or improved to fit the skin.
I had already changed to Bstrdsmkr's suggestion.

(2012-08-07, 21:40)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: There is also the possibility of 4/5/7.0 It might make more sense to break out the Sub option enitrely. Then show either 2, 4, 5, 7 or 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 based on whether or not the Separate sub option is selected

Also the images might confuse someone if they don't think it looks like what they have.
Just letting them count the number of speakers + possible 1 sub, seems pretty fool proof.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Why not just open the audio settings panel?
All settings are there and no dirty hacks needed. It should be possible to open it with a button or script.
Frodo select the 'best' setting and user maybe has to adjust output device.

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
easy access for newbies?1