easy access for newbies?
(2012-08-13, 16:46)MassIV Wrote: I had already changed to Bstrdsmkr's suggestion.

(2012-08-07, 21:40)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: There is also the possibility of 4/5/7.0 It might make more sense to break out the Sub option enitrely. Then show either 2, 4, 5, 7 or 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 based on whether or not the Separate sub option is selected

Also the images might confuse someone if they don't think it looks like what they have.
Just letting them count the number of speakers + possible 1 sub, seems pretty fool proof.

Yes, it is fool proof, but as you said before, it is a page full of text, so I thought to add some images of configuration might improve the look. Of course I would integrate it into the existing solution.
(2012-08-13, 16:50)Martijn Wrote: Why not just open the audio settings panel?
What kind of experiment would that be? Might as well just open settings.

What is wrong with trying to rethink some things. It might result in some good new ideas.
I stated a couple of times, that that was the main objective.

Besides, my monkey Bobo can't figure out how to do the settings. Oh, un-installing stuff, he can remember.
But noooo, i have to help with settings. Maybe he is just messing with me.

Here is a picture of Bobo figuring out the audio settings, i took this last month.

On the other hand, using a full page on counting speakers may be a bit of a waste.
So i'll think about what you said. Btw, if it had to be different then just opening audio settings.
How would you do it?

Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
^^^ F***ING LOVE IT
I'm not a skinner so this may not be possible, but could you skin the audio settings panel and "fake" multiple pages? I'm thinking hide all the elements, then show all the elements for the next "page," which to xbmc is still just the audio settings page.
Hm, I guess that makes me a code monkey?

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet,(just started reading this thread) but what about a GUI interface for connecting to a networked library on a MYSql server? Like one that will build an advancedsettings.xml file (and put it in the right place) for you?

Just a thought...I have my XBMC machines running 10.1 and i have a networked library database...
(2012-08-15, 01:30)knightbird Wrote:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet,(just started reading this thread) but what about a GUI interface for connecting to a networked library on a MYSql server? Like one that will build an advancedsettings.xml file (and put it in the right place) for you?

Just a thought...I have my XBMC machines running 10.1 and i have a networked library database...

fyi there has been a PR for this however this was rejected after some discussion because it's an advanced function. Regular/new users shouldn't be bothered with such options.
If you can setup an mysql you also can handle some advancedsettings.xml

A wizard should only be for new users to get going
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-08-14, 22:15)bobo1on1 Wrote: Hm, I guess that makes me a code monkey?

Bobo? You're secretly a dev? So you really were messing with me! Rofl

(2012-08-14, 20:51)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: I'm not a skinner so this may not be possible, but could you skin the audio settings panel and "fake" multiple pages? I'm thinking hide all the elements, then show all the elements for the next "page," which to xbmc is still just the audio settings page.

Well, i kind of want to minimize the amount of pages used. And remember, settings is still there. This is just to get people up and running WITH the wow factor, as fast as possible. Asking only a hand full of questions and deduction all the possible settings we can set for them based on that.

(2012-08-13, 16:50)Martijn Wrote: Why not just open the audio settings panel?
All settings are there and no dirty hacks needed. It should be possible to open it with a button or script.
Frodo select the 'best' setting and user maybe has to adjust output device.

Dirty hacks will be needed for everything as long as the idea is to apply all the settings on exit (if the user is sure).
Which i would prefer because some of the "next" buttons actually change settings. Otherwise just having a look through setup is not possible without making changes. But it is because of using the "next" buttons this way, that you can have so little buttons for many settings.
The alternative would also be dirty as it would either have to backup settings files and upon "don't apply" copy them back.
How much can Frodo set for a user? Everything it can do, the setup won't have to.

But it would not even be that dirty, as my plan was to write the normal <onclick> commands, all to one file.
And on the last click, the file with all the other clicks runs.

Or use the same system as the Advanced Settings Editor (dom).
Or hoping for better suggestions.

But don't forget, this was not my idea. But i had seen this asked for many times. So i thought, well if i just start photoshopping, some other suggestions will pop up. And when i got into it, i thought well lets just try to make a "from GUI to code" design rather then the "from code to GUI" we have now. And see if anything interesting rolls out. I for example really like the way source + content gets set by one "browse to folder".

Here is a pic of the apply everything at the end, when you are sure, page.

Ok, so i looked at the audio again and made a new suggestion.
The separate sub button is not "needed". It's not that much easier, but we have the space atm.
It would only catch people that don't know 5.1 means 5 speakers + sub. But if we can, why not?

Then listing the wasapi, s/pdiff, ect choices. Showing them like this, as changes to the defaults.
(that people don't even need to know the names of). Gives oversight, allows for (i believe) all combinations.
And can (upon reading the explanation) probably be skipped by thinking "I've never heard of those".

Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2012-08-09, 12:48)MassIV Wrote: @Ferdi-T Now that we have some structure. Could you turn that doc into a list of settings that are in now. And settings that still should be added/considered? Then once that's final we can go through the settings files for their real names/tags/nodes.

I'll get to it when I get home (I'm on holyday right now). The document is open to editing, btw, so everybody can feel free to modify.

Been reading the latest posts. Incredible work guys!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
easy access for newbies?1