Nervous About Upgrading to v11 (Eden)
Hi All,

I'm currently running version 10 and over the past couple of years, I've spent a lot of time tweaking my installation with various little changes. For example, I've modified the home screen to include options to point straight at my various plugins (e.g. 'Live TV' to TVCatchup). I've also spent hours getting my SNES emulator working perfectly.... it took a day perhaps just to get it in full screen and the sound working!! Then on top of that, I've managed to configure my bluetooth PS3 controller with it. There are plenty of posts I have made on here which evidence my struggles with a lot of my setup!

I'm completely happy with my XBMC installation now, everything works exactly how I want it to work and I pledged to myself to minimise my future 'tinkering'. HOWEVER, there are now lots of plugins which require v11 and I'm reaching the stage where I'm thinking upgrading is unavoidable. The only thing that worries me is, if I upgrade to v11.... will it wipe all of my custom changes?

Thanks
Nick
Just be sure to backup your userdata (wiki) folder. That contains all your settings, skins, database files, etc. If you are using the default skin, then it most likely will overwrite any custom skin changes you've made. Not sure about emulator launcher type stuff, but I have a feeling that will be okay.

If anything goes wrong, restore the old copy of the userdata folder and you'll be able to go back to v10.
Thanks for the reply Ned. I also forgot to mention that I am running XBMC Live v10. This has since been replaced by XBMCbuntu hasn't it for v11? Is this going to complicate things for me? Or is there a way of simply upgrading my 'live' installation to v11?
You can stay on the same slim linux OS that Live v10 installed, but update just XBMC itself to v11. Otherwise it would be like starting over from scratch to switch to XBMCbuntu.
Am I correct in saying that performing the following will upgrade my 'Live 10' to version 11 then?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Thanks
...... hmmm, well I've just done the non-sensible thing and gone for it anyway! But it seems I may have broken it now!

After performing the commands, I rebooted XBMC and am now just being greeted with 'XBMX Login:' from a command style prompt. Have I broken it?
After a bit of poking about I suspect the problem is caused by something similar to what I have encountered in the past..... the Nvidia driver.

I do not understand though how upgrading XBMC should effect the graphics driver...? Anyway, I'm more concerned with how to fix it than why this has happened!

With the help of various forum posts on here I've managed to purge the existing NVidia driver and install the latest one. This hasn't made any difference though - I still get the black 'logon' screen.

If I logon and run 'xbmc' I simply get 'unable to connect to xserver'. If I run 'startx' I get a black screen with a mouse pointer (and an error about there not being a wallpaper set).

The ONLY way I seem to be able to get XBMC running is by running this command:

xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone
(credit here = http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130709)

I don't understand what that is doing though other than making it work........!
"apt-get upgrade" will upgrade everything that the system finds updates for.

Not sure about correcting this problem, though. I'll move this to the Linux sub-forum to help give it more exposure to the right people. I do know that this has been done before, so I suspect the fix shouldn't be too hard.
(2012-08-10, 19:29)nick3young Wrote: After a bit of poking about I suspect the problem is caused by something similar to what I have encountered in the past..... the Nvidia driver.

I do not understand though how upgrading XBMC should effect the graphics driver...? Anyway, I'm more concerned with how to fix it than why this has happened!

With the help of various forum posts on here I've managed to purge the existing NVidia driver and install the latest one. This hasn't made any difference though - I still get the black 'logon' screen.

If I logon and run 'xbmc' I simply get 'unable to connect to xserver'. If I run 'startx' I get a black screen with a mouse pointer (and an error about there not being a wallpaper set).

The ONLY way I seem to be able to get XBMC running is by running this command:

xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone
(credit here = http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130709)

I don't understand what that is doing though other than making it work........!

Did you try this so it will auto start again?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120863

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nervous About Upgrading to v11 (Eden)0