OS X Broken AC3 Audio on OSX ML
Hi,

Since Perian isn't compatible with MountainLion anymore, XBMC can't play back any kind of ac3 Audio content on my machine. It just gives out fast clicking noices.
Eden throws Errors "Audio Hardware could not initialise" after a few seconds,
Frodo nightlies just keep on playing the "noices".

I think, the problem is related to coreaudio incompatibilities with ac3. In Lion this was no problem because Perian worked. Now, Perian isn't supported anymore (or at least not yeat updated).

Possible solution is to switch to "ffdshow Audio Decoder" instead of Core audio (at least for AC3 content).

Are there any suggestions on how to switch the audio decoder in xbmc?

Greets

EDIT: OK, just found out, that the problem is in the Audio Component A52Codec which is used to passthrough AC3 with coreaudio, not Perian itself, although it's bundled in Perian. still no solution!
XBMC has always been able to play back AC3 content regardless of Perian. Does not use Perian, don't care about it.

XBMC does not use the Audio Component A52Codec either.

In addition, ffdshow is some windows thing that has nothing to do with OSX.

Now maybe if you posted xbmc.log to pastebin.com, we could figure out what you have misconfigured.
Hi,

Ok here's my pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/5SsrGLK9

Does XBMC use an own AC3 Decoder or does it use libavcodec?

You clipped the xbmc.log and removed important information, don't do that in the future.

22:18:46 T:2953850880 NOTICE: Creating audio device with codec id: 86019, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, pass-through
22:18:46 T:2953850880 ERROR: CCoreAudioHardware::GetDefaultOutputDevice: Unable to identify default output device. Error = 0x00000000 ( ).
22:18:46 T:2953850880 WARNING: CoreAudioRenderer::Initialize: Unable to locate configured device, falling-back to the system default.
22:18:46 T:2953850880 ERROR: CCoreAudioHardware::GetDefaultOutputDevice: Unable to identify default output device. Error = 0x00000000 ( ).
22:18:46 T:2953850880 ERROR: Creating a Null Audio Renderer, Check your audio settings as this should not happen

You have passthough enabled, do you really want that ?
The log show you have not selected an output device, do that.
Is this a hackentosh or a real Apple box ?
It's a real Apple MBP.

Actually these Settings worked under Lion, so I didn't change anything.

My Standard Output was set to HDMI, now I changed to analog, I think that's better for me (also, because I don't have HDMI Tongue)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Broken AC3 Audio on OSX ML0