Win Synology DS1513+ w/HP dv5 laptop - Super Noob!
First Post on XBMC Forum from a Baby Boomer Super Noob!

I have been using a Diamond Multimedia Player MP1000 with an external HDD to play home movies transferred from Video Camera via S-Video to DVD recorder, then ripped to ISO format. That was a nice setup to carry around to family functions and playback videos, and some ripped commercial DVD movies. I have recently had one of the External Drives crash, so I now have a Synology 1513+ to store videos. Is there a way to be able to use the NAS as a DAS with XBMC?

I am currently using an HP dv5 2.1 GHz laptop for video, JPEG and MP3 media, but I want to use the Synology and make use of the RAID function to preserve the data. The other working HDDs(JBOD?) will serve as a backup for the data. . .

I have a network connection with Verizon, but I am not entirely comfortable with streaming data through their "router".

The dv5 laptop is doing just fine with External Drive connected and the laptop has an HDMI port which I have connected to a 42" Sanyo LCD Television.

Currently I am setting up the Synology thru another HP Laptop that doubles as a work computer. I have connected the NAS directly to the laptop with a crossover cable into the RJ45 port. I am just waiting for drives to format.

I even got my Android phone to work as XBMC remote with the app !

I have read on some other posts that I may need to learn some other things to be able to get the files from the NAS to be recognized by XBMC if I use the Synology as a DAS device. It sounds like maybe XBMC apps?

Any suggestions or links to older posts I may have missed on my search? Please have mercy on an aging hipster! Thanks.

PS. I have tried reading thru some posts and guides, but there is a lot of terminology to digest. I am used to using computers, but not Linux or Android. I am an old Windows guy. I used to use a 386/25 computer to capture TV in the 80's when I was younger, so I understand some video jargon, but I have a feeling I might have lots to learn! Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology DS1513+ w/HP dv5 laptop - Super Noob!0