Who has the lowest wattage and what are you running?
I am looking to lower my wattage to save some sucks. Maybe build a new system. A typical 300 watt system can cost from $250 to $300 a year to run. What are you running? Do you keep a seperate NAS?
Well I think it really depends on your efficiency of the PSU and the parts you got rather than the watt of the PSU itself.

I have an unRAID machine, that has 430W PSU. I have about 7 HDD's, 1 SSD in it. On full load, it uses about 90W, idle, maybe 60W idk havent really checked yet, so even with 430W PSU, it is not really using the full 430W. Just means it's capable of 430W

so, if you would like to go with the lowest possible wattage, you get the parts that uses the least power, and the most efficient power like gold certified PSU's.

so for example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819116408 this G540 uses 65W but http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103943 A6-3650 uses 100W which will consume more energy
(2012-08-09, 14:15)Inexistence Wrote: A typical 300 watt system can cost from $250 to $300 a year to run.
I seriously doubt that your PC is actually using 300 watts unless you're heavy into gaming. Before you do anything you should get a kill-a-watt meter (or something similar) and measure your actual power consumption.

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I have an unraid as well that is running a 650 watt power supply. I have a kill-a-watt measuring device but have not measured its output. I designed the machine for 24 drives. This machine will not be running all 24 hard drives for a long time to come but will be a waste of efficency untill then.

My XBMC machine was not built to be an XBMC machine it kind of turned into one. I would like to build either a new one (actually 4) or play with making these virtual in one powerful machine. IT is my profession and this is up my alley. This is the reason I am interested in power. I do not want to add another 1000 or so bucks to my electric bill a year.
(2012-08-09, 17:07)Inexistence Wrote: I have an unraid as well that is running a 650 watt power supply. I have a kill-a-watt measuring device but have not measured its output. I designed the machine for 24 drives. This machine will not be running all 24 hard drives for a long time to come but will be a waste of efficency untill then.

If this is the case, then it'd be more of which HDD you will be using. Since you are going to have that many HDD's, most of your power will be consumed by hdd.

For example, if you get WD's green drives (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/Sp...701229.pdf ) and if this spec is correct, then 6W / hdd would be all you usefor Read and Write. which comes out to be 144W, and if your PSU has 80% efficiency.. the psu will be using 180W. (180 x 0.8 = 144). If your PSU is able to do like 85%, then it would use about 170W. So honestly even if with 24 HDD, it doesn't use all 300W.

300 W is probably used when you start adding stuff like high end graphics card, multiple fans, high performing CPU's. Since your NAS is usualyl built only for storage, all that is not really required.. but then it's really up to you.

Well again, that's if you were to get greed drives. if you're planning on getting full on 7200 rpm 3tb hdd's, then it's another story.
At idle I'm getting roughly 35 watt with my setup:

Case: OrigenAE M10 with VFD Display
Motherboard: Zotac D2700-ITX WiFi Supreme (integrated Intel D2700/GeForce GT 520)
HDD: Intel 520 SSD (60 gigabytes)
Optical slot-load drive: Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7690H
RAM: Crucial 1X4GB DDR3

The OrigenAE case came with a passive 150 watt picoPSU, but as stated the entire system wattage at idle is 35 watt.

Strangely, standby consumption is at 7 watt, which I think is quite a lot just to display the time on the VFD, but what can you do?

I'm using an external NAS (1 TB WD World Edition running in another room). I would highly recommend getting a NAS - it's just far more flexible in order to access your files from other devices and saves more energy.
(2012-08-09, 23:05)ruth440 Wrote: At idle I'm getting roughly 35 watt with my setup:

Case: OrigenAE M10 with VFD Display
Motherboard: Zotac D2700-ITX WiFi Supreme (integrated Intel D2700/GeForce GT 520)
HDD: Intel 520 SSD (60 gigabytes)
Optical slot-load drive: Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7690H
RAM: Crucial 1X4GB DDR3

The OrigenAE case came with a passive 150 watt picoPSU, but as stated the entire system wattage at idle is 35 watt.

Strangely, standby consumption is at 7 watt, which I think is quite a lot just to display the time on the VFD, but what can you do?

I'm using an external NAS (1 TB WD World Edition running in another room). I would highly recommend getting a NAS - it's just far more flexible in order to access your files from other devices and saves more energy.

I have always wanted an M10, but the price is just crazy.

You might want to test out your power supply (not hooked up to the case). You might find that the power brick is using 6-10w.

I was surprised to find that my cheapy draws about 7w turned off.

My "server" (a Win7 box with 5 HDDs on SMB shares) uses about 27W at idle with the hard drives asleep.

SB i3 2100
Corsair 400W PSU
MSI H67 mobo, using integrated video
LG BDROM
Annual cost approx $31

My HTPC (no moving parts) uses about 35W when playing media

SB i3 2100
Seasonic 400W Fanless PSU
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD
Gigabyte Z68 mobo, using integrated video
Annual cost hard to measure because its in S3 most of the time (2-3W)

I would be shocked to find an average server or HTPC that used 300W 24/7. At peak, maybe.
I used my kill-a-watt yesterday on my xbmc machine and its 107 watts running. Going to see what I can do lower this.
(2012-08-10, 02:07)kortina Wrote: I have always wanted an M10, but the price is just crazy.

You might be interested in this alternative: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ht100.html
My Athlon II 255 with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT motherboard, 8 Gb ram, Asus fanless G210 video card with a seasonic 300 TFX PSU and 2 fujitsu HDs idles at 49 watts and uses 55 watts watching 720p xvid movies. In retrospect, I wish I would have built it with an Intel dual core for a little more power savings, as I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to get k10ctl working with XBMC Live.

My Giada Cube with 4 GB ram and a 500 TB fujitsu HD requires around 23 watts running openelec.

Both measured with a Kill-A-Watt...
(2012-08-10, 20:48)Inexistence Wrote: I used my kill-a-watt yesterday on my xbmc machine and its 107 watts running. Going to see what I can do lower this.

Yea this seems a bit high for a htpc. What's the spec?
take a look here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104372

i' ve quite low power consumption, maybe you like it too ;o)
My acer 3600 is pulling 22watts with an addition 8 watts for an externally wd black drive. The external dive never sleeps.becasuse its the main boot drive. It's faster then the 5300 rpm internal.
Built a new system running on 19 watts with an i3 core intel. Full system!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who has the lowest wattage and what are you running?0