Linux Alternatives to XBMCbuntu
If you plan on using Eden stable it might be the best choice to go with XbmcUbuntu. Eden uses the old audio engine which can be a pain in the ass to configure properly when using multiple audio outputs. Even though XbmcUbuntu is not as fast as a custom minimal configuration, it's still pretty fast. I'm using it myself on minimal hardware. The xbmc daily builds are very stable in my experience and they use the new audio engine, which makes it a lot easier to configure the outputs.

If you want easy installation, high performance and fast boots use OpenElec. It's highly configurable but the way the distribution is built and configured is a bit unconventional.

If you want cutting edge, easy installation and easy customisation.... Use XbmcUbuntu.

If you have the patience to built from scratch (relatively difficult installation) and want to have a super efficient and customisable system. Start with Ubuntu minimal.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2012-08-15, 11:49)lcapriotti Wrote:
(2012-08-13, 10:06)LastCoder Wrote: Ubuntu 12.04 Server (LTS) ['cause for its longterm support and it's free of desktop crap -.Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu - all suck, are much more bloated than necessary]
+
apt-get install lxde [lxde rockz - lightning fast]
+
pulse-eight eden xbmc repo [latest PVR ppa]

which is right what XBMCbuntu is all about - plus some apps you may ignore and the stable version of XBMC...

But feel free to start from scratch, after all having more choices is better that having none Wink
Out of interest what have you done to XBMCbuntu to make it take sooooo long to boot? XBMClive use to be nice and peppy.
(2012-08-15, 11:49)lcapriotti Wrote: which is right what XBMCbuntu is all about - plus some apps you may ignore and the stable version of XBMC...

But feel free to start from scratch, after all having more choices is better that having none Wink

Didn't know .. if it is so .. well done Cool .. but reinventing the wheel is always fun Rofl
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
If boot time is causing headache, why not use hibernate instead of poweroff ? My Eeebox seems to take forever to boot so I configured XBMCbuntu to hibernate by default when pressing power button on the remote.
(2012-08-18, 07:04)manemies Wrote: If boot time is causing headache, why not use hibernate instead of poweroff ? My Eeebox seems to take forever to boot so I configured XBMCbuntu to hibernate by default when pressing power button on the remote.
You may want to try Suspend (aka Sleep) instead of Hibernate. Restarting a hibernated system takes almost as long (if not longer) than doing a cold-boot. Hibernate is more apropos for laptops when running solely on the battery power.
(2012-08-18, 07:17)artrafael Wrote: You may want to try Suspend (aka Sleep) instead of Hibernate. Restarting a hibernated system takes almost as long (if not longer) than doing a cold-boot. Hibernate is more apropos for laptops when running solely on the battery power.

You are absolutely correct and Suspend was what I meant. (Somehow mixed up those two terms.)

Maybe there's some other advantages in installing 12.04 SRV + lxde + xbmc from repo but atleast for me the only annoying this was the boot-up time. But as mentioned earlier, Suspend was the 'workaround' for me.

(2012-08-13, 10:06)LastCoder Wrote: Hi,

since I like to have

1) a real desktop in background
[maintaining and other non HTPC tasks that are easier to manage with a desktop] (so OpenElec is out)
2) but a small and clean system at all [speed] and
3) it has to be based on a well known distro that is convenience food [support]

I did it that way:

Ubuntu 12.04 Server (LTS) ['cause for its longterm support and it's -2- free of desktop crap -. Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu - all suck, are much more bloated than necessary]
+
-3- apt-get install lxde [lxde rockz - lightning fast]
+
pulse-eight eden xbmc repo [latest PVR ppa]

That's it - boots up in less than 20 secs but is still a full featured and long supported desktop, less than 100 MB RAM, less than 1 GB of space ..

Um, hey LastCoder, didn't you just roll your own lubuntu?

I'm confused; On one hand 1) you want a desktop, -2- then you don't, and -3- then you do...
you chose to use the "server" distro because "it's free of desktop crap" and then you built your own Lubuntu by adding LXDE and all of it's dependencies.

I'm just trying to make sense of all that, but it totally escapes me since XBMCbuntu uses an even further watered down version of Lubuntu w/ Openbox than what you built.

http://lubuntu.net/ Wrote:Lubuntu is a fast and lightweight operating system developed by a community of Free and Open Source enthusiasts. The core of the system is based on Linux and Ubuntu . Lubuntu uses the minimal desktop LXDE, and a selection of light applications. We focus on speed and energy-efficiency. Because of this, Lubuntu has very low hardware requirements.

Furthermore;
what you get for a DE in Lubuntu / XBMCbuntu / LXDE really leaves you wanting for Gnome2 / Nautilus / Gnome Terminal features that are missing.
The file manger PCManFM can't connect to other machines / server, and how the heck do you empty the trash? ... Go: Trash Can ... then highlight everything and choose 'Delete' --AGAIN --!!

Then try to work with UXTerm or XTerm in comparison to Gnome Terminal. For one thing you can't cut, copy, or paste without a 3-button mouse in those watered down terminals.
Now try to work with more than the one hard drive you installed XBMCbuntu onto and you'll find that you'll have to edit the fstab file and chown the damn things.

No, there isn't any support for dealing with extra drives at all. There are barely any customization options available and the whole desktop experience while trying to customize your XBMC box is just a frustrating wash out which leaves you wanting to scrap the whole project and start over from scratch rolling your own on top of something really stable and useful like Lucid.

As far as the need for a lightweight DE... Please, with today's hardware, I'd rather be able to have the tools I'm accustomed to using and get things done without fighting with inferior and missing tools. Plus I like to surf, run games, and educational programs for my young daughter.

Much like Windows XP was the best thing that Microsoft ever did, I feel that Lucid was the best thing that Ubuntu ever did, and from there everything went down hill and is seemingly in a perpetual alpha state, constantly breaking and tweaking.

So, if anyone is here reading this looking for the best way to setup your media center (with DE), I suggest installing Ubuntu Lucid or Mint 13 Maya, stripping away what you don't need -OR- in a similar manner to LastCoder, install Lucid Server (base with OpenSSH), then the 'Gnome' DE and then install XBMC standalone.
Trust Me, if you want the ability to really tweak, customize, deal with the complexities of multiple hard drives and possibly RAID you will want a REAL DE system with Real GUI tools under the hood of XBMC.
Otherwise you'd better be real familiar and cozy with the CLI.

NOTE: If going the server first route and then you install a DE, you will want to disable or remove the Network-Manager that the DE installs.
Hey, a HTPC is not supposed to be portable, it defeats the purpose of being a Home Theater PC. SO... Set your Static IP & Gateway and forget about it.
You want portability? Then you are looking for a Media Player, not a Media CENTER.
But, you could drag around a laptop with XBMC on it and share the media from the main Center over your network.

TIP: Put all of your media on drive(s) other than what you install the OS and XBMC on.

Good Luck.
Ubuntu minimal + this script put together is working damn well.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369

Of course there is no desktop...
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-10-17, 05:31)thethirdnut Wrote: Ubuntu minimal + this script put together is working damn well.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369

Of course there is no desktop...
This could be perfect... time to try it out.
I use Debian Wheezy with lxde-core installed. I install Nvidia's drivers manually and compile XBMC from source to gain full control of the software chain. LXDE is started without a dispay manager (meaning there can only be one user) so it's pretty fast. I rarely reboot though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternatives to XBMCbuntu0