Win XBMC on windows 8
Hi all, I have installed XBMC on my PC that is running Windows 8. I only have one issue, that i don't know how to fix or if it is related til XBMC or windows 8 or the combination of these two. The problem is that when i play a video file, then after some minutes, the video stops automatically, just like when I press the stop button on my remote. And then i can resume the video file again. But it is very frustrating. Has anyone had this problem before in other windows versions or do other people use Windows 8 and have the same issue?
Does this auto-stop anomaly occur repeatedly throughout watching a particular video? Or just one time (i.e., after restarting it once, it plays fine through the remainder)? Does this happen with local video files? Files located on a file server? Streaming videos? Does it also happen while listening to music? Aside from the remote control, do you have any other input devices (wired or wireless) attached to your XBMC system (e.g., keyboard, mouse, game controller)?
Great questions artrafael. This happens throughout the video. I only play local video, so i have not tried with streaming videos. The files are on a external harddrive connected with USB 3, and it worked without any problems in windows 7. I use the skin "Cirrus Extended v2". I never play music from within XBMC, but i can try. I use a logitech dinovo mini as remote, and have also a keyboard and mouse connected. logitech dinovo min uses Bluetooth, and mouse and keyboard are connected with usb.

I hope this information is helpfull?
Have you made any other system changes other than upgrading your OS from Win7 to Win8 (new hardware, applications)? Are you running the same XBMC version on both Windows versions? Does this problem occur if you switch back to the default Confluence skin? Does this problem occur if you unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and use just the Bluetooth keyboard for navigation? What about the reverse: unplug the Bluetooth keyboard and use just the USB keyboard?

If all else fails, try the following: Enable debug logging in XBMC, exit XBMC, restart XBMC, wait a couple of minutes, start a video and wait for it to do its auto-stop glitch. Hit the backslash key ( \ ) to windowize the XBMC session and then launch My Computer (does that still exist in Win8 or even Win7?) to locate your XBMC debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log). Examine the debug log (wiki) and see if it indicates why the video was stopped unexpectedly. If you want others to review the log as well, please upload the log to www.pastebin.com or www.xbmclogs.com and post just the assigned URL for the uploaded log here in your reply.
I have not upgraded my OS. I made a clean install. The XBMC version is the same. I will try and use the Confluence skin, and see if that helps. Else i will try your other suggestions and get back ASAP.
I found the problem. It is windows 8 that losses the connection to my external harddisk, but only for a very short while. :-( If i play videos from an internal harddisk, then there is not problem at all.
In that case you maybe can find something like "USB 3 Energy Saving/Managing Settings" within the corresponding USB3-driver and disable them.

I have this effect on my Win7 machines with USB3-addon-cards: they either have this setting inside the driver or a manufacturers helper-program shipped with the card (Renesas chips in my case). If activated, the USB3-device disconnects on a non-regular basis, no matter if transfers to it are running or not...
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
I have other problem, I configure XMBC for autostartup when Windows 8 starts, but It take a lot of time and the keyboard not Works on xbmc, any clue?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on windows 80