HTPC using HP Pavilion a1710n case, psu? or just scrap and build new?
Can anyone let me know if it makes any sense to try and use my old hp pavilion amd athlon 64x2 4200+ a1710n case, psu, and DVD drive to build a decent htpc? I wanted to see about saving a few dollars. Interested in maybe doing amd a6 or a8 htpc build if anyone has suggestions? I believe it's a micro atx style case but no idea the psu power? The system as it sits is just horrible for video, dead slow with iTunes and horrible start up. It will be used for Internet browsing, downloading and streaming videos to 40 inch LCD. Let me know what u think or should I just get rid of the old parts and start fresh. The a170n can only go up to 4gb ram and ddr2 so not so great or worth probably buying the older ram since its just as expensive if not more then ddr3 now. Plus Ive got buy windows 7 I guess and didn't want to shell out cash for that too.
I'm considering an A8 HTPC build like suggested several times on this forum. There is also this graphics card on sale that is of interest;
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72477

Anyways please let me know what anyone thinks I could do or should do?
openelec
I'm running XBMC on a 2.4 GHz P4 with 512MB of ram, and it runs Netflix and h.264 encoded DVDs just fine. I have to stick with simple skins, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC using HP Pavilion a1710n case, psu? or just scrap and build new?0