Problem with audio on HDMI
Hi, bought a new laptop and for my surprise the hdmi audio passthrough is not working... using win7 my video card is nvidia gt650m...

Everything works great when playing video on the laptop, once i connect it to the receiver I dont get audio... tried to change the audio output and the video stutters a lot with no audio, dont know what im doing wrong considering im using the eden stable version.
First update the GPU driver to the latest version. Then set HDMI as the default audio device under Playback devices.
Does your receiver show up as an audio device in windows when it's plugged in?
I connected laptop to AVR and then to HDTV via two HDMI cables last year, and here how I did it......

1)Turned on the laptop, with no HDMI cable plugged in.
2) Set laptop sound to "Speakers/Headphones"
3) Selected proper HDMI output on AVR to HDTV
4) Selected proper HDMI input on HDTV from AVR
5) Turned on HDTV then AVR, and then plugged laptop HDMI output to AVR

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
XBMC works flawless if I dont select HDMI as output on settings, I can watch any movie with perfect sound. If i select hdmi as output on settings then the videoi drops to 3 fps per second and get no audio. I just want to see the DTS light blink in my receiver... which used to happen with my old laptop but im getting tired... everything works great if i dont put hdmi output i even get 5.1 sound.
I do think this is a drive issue, not XBMC.

I've had this problem with the last year's worth of NVidia drivers. My solution is to disable all other Win7 Playback devices... this forces sound out via HDMI.

If I don't do this, about 20% of the time sound will play through my laptop speakers... even when I'm in XBMC running just fine using HDMI watching a video, then I change videos and bam, PC speakers are used for no apparent reason.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Ok but correct me if im wrong, I believe windows is doing all the decoding and then sending it to the receiver thats why the light of the receiver doesnt turn on. However im getting the same sound quality as if the receiver would do it right?
(2012-08-16, 22:57)Marioo2 Wrote: Ok but correct me if im wrong, I believe windows is doing all the decoding and then sending it to the receiver thats why the light of the receiver doesnt turn on. However im getting the same sound quality as if the receiver would do it right?
If you set it to pass-through, AVR will do all the decoding......you can check out this thread for more info- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC......... (you can start at Setup section)
Yes, but at the end its the same thing right? Because my computer can decode dts, dtshd etc
(2012-08-17, 00:17)Marioo2 Wrote: Yes, but at the end its the same thing right? Because my computer can decode dts, dtshd etc
I trust the more expensive AVR to do this job than HTPC......give it a shot.....

Thank you but the problem is still there, if i move from analog to hdmi on XBMC the video crashes and get no sound. I tried with MPC and i also cannot bitstream there, however im getting the PCM audio so I guess the computer is doing the decoding. I did all you said and followed your tutorial but nothing, after some investigation I see that on the device manager I have a category called "unknown" where I have my audio driver and something called "Intel display audio driver", i click on them and both say they are working properly.

Like I been saying, everything runs great, Its just that I cant let the receiver do the decoding instead of the computer. Dunno if its related to the nvidia/intel cards
Did you see "Audio output device WASAPI: AVR model go here (Nvidia High Definition......)" in XBMC settings/system/audio output?
Yes, to answer your question, if your computer does the decoding and sends it out to the receivers, it's the same thing.
Can you post a snapshot of your audio settings page in XBMC under System>Audio Output, plus a Debug Log?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I fixed it... did a dual boot with win8 and bitstreaming worked there, guess something is wrong with the drivers, it wasnt the fault of XBMC or anything else. Thank you all, this is a great program

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with audio on HDMI0