Evaluating Software help
All,

I am looking for a good HTPC solution. I understand that your opinions will be a bit biased toward XBMC, but I want to find out if it can do what I am asking of it.

Previously I was running Windows Media Center 7. This worked great as long as I had a cable outlet connected to the computer and I had one at each TV. The problem was sharing the recordings. Although I was able to do this, it caused some problems because I stored them on a network server. The copying of these recordings across the network would tend to make it bog down the network and didn't allow for very high quality streaming of live TV.

I had made the decision to go to Mythbuntu at this point because it had the ability to have a single backend that could do all the recording in one location and then have multiple front ends that could connect to it to stream the items. This will free up the network bandwidth that I was having problems with before.

Well after setting up my Mythbuntu box, I noticed that it would lock up on me pretty frequently. Keep in mind that this was one of the same machines that I had previously been running windows media center 7 with and not having any lockup issues.

Because of this I think I want to try another alternative which this will be XBMC.

I have been doing a little bit of reading, but I haven't found any difinitive answers on if it can do the one backend and multiple front end that Myth could do.

I also found that if you want to use xbmc as a pvr, you have to have other software installed to accomplish this. One of those options was MythTV so it isn't looking so promising for me as of now (which is why I am posting this).

If I were to install XBMC, what OS works best with it? Should I install it on top of windows, or should it be the XBMCbuntu?

Has anyone who has used this as a PVR had problems with the system locking up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a quad core 2.66 processor with 4GB of ram. I have 4 1TB drives that are configured raid 5 (hardware raid). My motherboard is an ASUS PQ5C. I am running off the HDMI output of the board.

Once I get this main system set up I want to be able to use multiple front ends which could range from appletv to another pc. Will these multiple front ends be able to stream the live tv from the main machine? Will I be able to tell the main machine to record a show or setup/change any schedules?

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Evaluating Software help0