TV-card to recommend for cable?
Which TV-card could you recommend for a notebook (Win 7), important is that it is possible to record and program TV broadcasts?
Digital or analog cable? CableCard? Do you use a set top box from your cable company? How many shows do you want to watch/record simultaneously? Are you stuck on Win7 or would Media Center be OK? Unfortunately, cable tuner cards is an area fraught with complications.
Thank you, teaguecl.

I assume it is analog cable, in Germany.

No set top box.

<<<How many shows do you want to watch/record simultaneously?
Difficulty to say, I guess at least two, 3 or 4 would be good.

<<< Are you stuck on Win7 or would Media Center be OK?
I don't know exactly, as I learned XBMC does not have any record option, I didn't know before, may be another Media Center than that one of Windows would be better...may be nextPVR or something like that.
Analog cable is a good thing in terms of what options you have, since it's not encrypted. That means you can use any OS you want (including Linux), and you have available to you a lot of options for software. My recommendation is to pick your software first, and then find a tuner recommended by whomever makes that software. Microsoft media center is very popular, but there are many other options (BeyondTV, MediaPortal, etc.). I have a friend who uses MythTV (Linux based) and absolutely loves it - I think there might be a Windows version of that these days as well. As far as hardware goes, I've always liked Hauppauge cards.
You can also consider the HDHomeRun. It's a networked tuner you connect directly to your router rather than your laptop/PC. It's supported by nearly all software and works incredibly well. However, wired connections will work best for watching and recording HD (SD should be fine over wireless).
Sorry for hesitating (no notification e-mail).

Thanks teaguecl,

The most powerful Media Center is MediaPortal as far as I have seen now. But it is very difficult, complex to set up for me, to get it working, especially to get the recorder working with the TV-Card. XBMC is very easily to handle, but there is no record option etc., but it is more stable than MediaPortal if I see it right.

Yes, a lot of options for software generally, but there are not so many programs with a powerful record option as it seems.

I now have a Dirks Hauppauge TV-Card WinTV-HVR-930C.

There doesn' t seem to be a MythTV version for Windows.

Thanks RealDealNeil.

Yes, good idea, at the moment I still try / use the different Media Centers.

Many thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV-card to recommend for cable?0