Black Screen when fullscreening
I have a windows server r2 box running xbmc. It was fine until i updated to 12.1. Now every now and again when i play a movie xbmc will freeze but I can hear the audio. It also seems unstable, the iPad can't connect to it. Its very annoying. I have the hardware accelerator and the sync with refresh rate disabled. any ideas?
(2013-03-28, 04:43)Paradoxgrowth Wrote: I have a windows server r2 box running xbmc. It was fine until i updated to 12.1. Now every now and again when i play a movie xbmc will freeze but I can hear the audio. It also seems unstable, the iPad can't connect to it. Its very annoying. I have the hardware accelerator and the sync with refresh rate disabled. any ideas?

Totally different issue than what's being discussed in this thread. Please make a new thread for it.
(2012-12-10, 18:54)joecooper84 Wrote: In the past I've fixed this by updating the Direct X patches. I know the XBMC installer is supposed to install the latest, but for some reason it doesn't always work.

Close all apps and reboot so nothing is loaded, THEN install the patch (http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/) then reboot again to complete install.

+1
Following these precise instructions fixed the black screen issue for full screen with audio only for me.
My System is
Dell Laptop Studio 1558
XBMC Frodo 12.1
Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
ATI Radeon HD5470
I had tried all previous suggestions in this thread upto this suggestion, so this fix may require one the other suggestions inconjunction with this to make it work, I cannot tell. But I'm working again.

Many thanks
(2013-03-30, 20:57)pjg_pigeon Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 18:54)joecooper84 Wrote: In the past I've fixed this by updating the Direct X patches. I know the XBMC installer is supposed to install the latest, but for some reason it doesn't always work.

Close all apps and reboot so nothing is loaded, THEN install the patch (http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/) then reboot again to complete install.

+1
Following these precise instructions fixed the black screen issue for full screen with audio only for me.
My System is
Dell Laptop Studio 1558
XBMC Frodo 12.1
Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
ATI Radeon HD5470
I had tried all previous suggestions in this thread upto this suggestion, so this fix may require one the other suggestions inconjunction with this to make it work, I cannot tell. But I'm working again.

Many thanks

When i try to install this patch it asks for a directory. I choose C:\Windows\System32. Is this correct? cause im still having black screen with audio in full screen.
Guys!

98% of you all use AMD/ATI graphics, so if you have not, UPDATE to latest drivers/chipset and so on, and see if that does something.
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience with this issue. I am also using an ATI Radeon HD 5450 (although I swear it said something else before doing what I did) on Windows 7 Home Premium. I am not sure exactly how I got it working because I did a few things at the same time but I will tell you what I did.

First I went into device manager and tried to update my video card drivers. It said it was up to date. So I uninstalled the driver, rebooted, and then re-installed, rebooted. (this is where i think the video card name changed, but I can be wrong, its early morning and not enough coffee)

I then opened XBMC and I still had the problem with the black screen on full window mode.

Opened settings> video> playback and changed the following settings:
Render method : Auto Detect
Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Match Movie: Always

Shut down XBMC. Restarted it, and Voila! It worked after that. Big Grin

Just to mention some other settings (which I havent tested yet if they play into my situation) but I have Allow Hardware Accelleration set to Off, and now since the fix, I can play in windowed mode or full mode (resolution set to 1600 x 900)
I have this same problem, windows 8/AMD Radeon HD6450 updated to the latest drivers, audio starts playing but the screen goes black, works fine in the background if you exit out. I've tried all the suggestions in here with the Hardware acceleration, Fullscreen/Truescreen windows etc and no luck. The only thing I've noticed that lets it play is if you lower the resolution down from 1080p but it still plays fine at that resolution inside other programs besides XBMC. Weirdly I just started having this problem recently when I upgraded my reciever to one that can do HDMI.
I have a dedicated HTPC with xbmc and just installed on my windows 7 laptop for family trip. Have an ADI gpu, tried all the above sugestions and what worked for me was selecting Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Match Movie: Always.
I also have resolution set to 1360x768, with hardware acceleration off, all videos work fine. Hope this helps someone.
Main HTPC/Server, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0
ASUS Chromebox, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0, Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO Mod
(2013-05-03, 15:38)lemony17 Wrote: Shut down XBMC. Restarted it, and Voila! It worked after that. Big Grin

I have had this issue for a while from time to time and never bothered to troubleshoot it. This has always been my solution and has mostly worked. Sometimes, though, I have to restart to get it back.

Forgot to add, have my drivers, firmware, etc at the latest.
Thought I'd add some specifics since there seems to be several different configurations/solutions. Hopefully helps narrow down the issue.

Hardware/Software-
Sony Vaio with Windows 7, Frodo 12.2
Intel i3 cpu with ATI Radeon HD 5470 gpu all drivers up to date

Video - Settings - Playback -
Render - Auto detect
Hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - Disabled
Adjust Display refresh rate to match video - Always
Pause during refresh rate change - Off
Sync playback to display - disabled

System - Settings - Video output -
Display Mode - Full screen #1
Resolution - 1360x768P - Does not matter which I choose
Use a fullScreen window rather than true fullscreen - enabled
Vertical blank sync - Always enabled

Hardware acceleration - disabled AND Adjust display refresh rate to match video - Always, both must be set this way or I get black screen during playback. So far changing any other settings does not seem to have any effect on the black screen.
Main HTPC/Server, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0
ASUS Chromebox, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0, Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO Mod
Thumbs Up 
Cheers shess757, I got mine working after making both the system setting adjustments you posted. Hopefully this will help others too
I think the mystery has finally been solved (at least a work around)! Anyone else want to confirm shess757's findings?
Shess757 findings worked for me as well! Many thanks!
(2012-09-28, 11:01)evoactivity Wrote: I had this issue a while back, the only way I solved it was by turning hardware acceleration off.

Hi I did the same thing and it worked!
(2013-07-06, 05:21)shess757 Wrote: Thought I'd add some specifics since there seems to be several different configurations/solutions. Hopefully helps narrow down the issue.

Hardware/Software-
Sony Vaio with Windows 7, Frodo 12.2
Intel i3 cpu with ATI Radeon HD 5470 gpu all drivers up to date

Video - Settings - Playback -
Render - Auto detect
Hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - Disabled
Adjust Display refresh rate to match video - Always
Pause during refresh rate change - Off
Sync playback to display - disabled

System - Settings - Video output -
Display Mode - Full screen #1
Resolution - 1360x768P - Does not matter which I choose
Use a fullScreen window rather than true fullscreen - enabled
Vertical blank sync - Always enabled

Hardware acceleration - disabled AND Adjust display refresh rate to match video - Always, both must be set this way or I get black screen during playback. So far changing any other settings does not seem to have any effect on the black screen.

This sorted my black screen problem, thanks very much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Screen when fullscreening5