min config for a OTA ATSC dvr/pvr with xbmc that runs 24/7
I have been running xbmc on my windows pc for quite a while now and now I am building a HTPC mainly for the following:

1. Get rid of cable/satellite provider completely and see only broadcast tv.

2. Able to watch Hulu (NOT plus), ESPN3, etc. I guess XBMC is the only way.

I have read through the sticky threads above regarding the hardware. However, I would like to know which setup will satisfy the following:

Requirements:

1. Don't want Windows - unless you experts tell me that is the way to go.

2. Able to record/pause live ATSC HD broadcast tv, through a PC tuner card, HDHomeRun, etc. with min 2 channel simultaneous recording. I would like Myth TV (or some Linux based) and XBMC working together on this box. Ideally, I would like to be able to watch the recording on a mobile phone as well (say, like sling), but at this time I am not entirely clear on that.

3. I don't think I will be playing games, web browsing, etc., on this setup. Strictly only for TV and XBMC plugins. Will probably run 24/7. Don't need anything else on this machine.

4. I need full/complete 1080p handling of video and all formats etc.

(in short, this should behave like a cable/satellite dvr box)

Questions:

1. Will a Acer Revo , Foxconn nt-A3500, Zotac ZBOX, etc, or similar small device (please specify which one) handle this?

2. If I have to go for a full custom build, please tell me the minimum (and suggested) processor and graphic card that will handle this.

Thank You.
On Linux NVidia is first choice. Specification similar to Zotac ID80 will play it all.
thank you.

wow, it will be awesome to record 2 ATSC HD streams, plus, watch different HD recordings or xbmc on 2 TVs, at the same time.

now, to find a good deal on a setup!!!

EDIT- sorry, one more question: if I want to stream a HD recording to a mobile phone, then I would need a hardware MPEG encoder? so that the video can be transcoded and sent to the phone on the fly?
Quote:if I want to stream a HD recording to a mobile phone, then I would need a hardware MPEG encoder? so that the video can be transcoded and sent to the phone on the fly?

Is it really fun watching any kind of video on a mobile phone? I am not too experienced with this use case but I think you would need some kind of media server and e.g. ffmpeg. This all can be done by software but you need a really powerful machine.
(2012-08-21, 16:01)FernetMenta Wrote:
Quote:if I want to stream a HD recording to a mobile phone, then I would need a hardware MPEG encoder? so that the video can be transcoded and sent to the phone on the fly?

Is it really fun watching any kind of video on a mobile phone? I am not too experienced with this use case but I think you would need some kind of media server and e.g. ffmpeg. This all can be done by software but you need a really powerful machine.

lol. it is basically to watch live sports. if the pc can downsize the video to mobile phone size and with the correct format mp4 in real time, it will be awesome to watch live tv anywhere!

btw, i saw this deal on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119072

seems a little underpowered but looks like will work fine with openelec.
Most live tv is still interlaced content. Currently AMD and Intel offer just basic (Bob) de-interlacing on Linux. This is why I recommended NVidia.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
min config for a OTA ATSC dvr/pvr with xbmc that runs 24/70