I'd like to use a "Custom" menu for my Startup Window. Settings won't allow it.
Screenshot of the Appearance Settings screen.

If you look at the above screenshot, you'll see a setting called "Startup Window". The UI will only let me select one of the pre-existing options in the list (Settings, Videos, Music, Weather, etc) but I am using this as a console emulator, and I want my custom "Consoles" menu to be the focus on startup.

I haven't located any way to accomplish this via google searches except for people saying "Edit the XML". Okay.... that's fine and I'm happy to do it, but I'm not a programmer or an expert on XBMC skins so I don't have the slightest clue where to look. Would one of you gentlement or ladies be so kind as to spell this out to me like I'm a 5 year old so I can figure it out?

Screenshot of my custom menus.

As you can see in the above screenshot, I've sliced my menu down to just Settings and Consoles. It default to Settings, and I want it to default to Consoles.

Any ideas? This is one of the FINAL modifications I need to make to this machine before it's ready to go!
the 'startup window' option defines which window opens by default at startup, this can be the home screen, the weather scree or any of the other options.
this has nothing to do with wich button on the home menu gets focussed at startup ;-)

that being said, xbmc will always put the focus at the top of the list and there's no easy way (if any) to change that.

one option for you would be to modify the home menu and put the 'consoles' menu item on top, so it gets focussed at startup.
you would need to modify Includes_Home.xml:
- find the code for the 'settings' button (<item id="12">) around line 2451
- move that portion of the code below all other menu items, that would be below <item id="16"> at line 2485
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I'll try that and report back here with my results, thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'd like to use a "Custom" menu for my Startup Window. Settings won't allow it.0