Pixel problems in BluRay rips
Hello guys

I've been having som trouble with my HTPC running XBMC v. 11.0 Eden and 12.0 Frodo.

As the images shows you the picture gets VERY unstable with many pixels. It comes and goes for some time.

It's only for some movies, this one above shows MI:3 a BluRay rip in 720p - tried a different release also, with no luck. Both the rips is Bluray Rips in 720p.
MI:4 has for example no problems at all.

My HTPC is Intel DH61AG with 8GB of ram - all drivers/bios up to date, i have for a couple of months now tried Frodo 12.0 Alpha, and after this came up, i tried to downgrade to 11.0 Eden, with no changes.

I tried to install XBMC at my normal computer with 11.0 Eden - it got no problems with MI:2 and MI:3 playback. - Though i cant use 12.0 at this one - will get BSOD (Cant figure out why)

I've got 400+ movies in 720p and this kind of problem is not there, only for these two movies. There are a other few movies, where this problem will show 2 - 3 times durring a movie, but nothing serious as the one above.

What can the problem be here? Any suggestions would be nice :-)

Run MediaInfo (wiki) on one of the problematic files.
Just tried to disable DXVA2 Hardware acceleration in system menu, with GOOD luck.
I always thougt that this feature has to be enabled on "small" systems. Now the movies run with no problems at all, my CPU ussage is 3- 8% (720p) and 4 - 12% (1080p) most of the time.
Oooo 11 ref frames on Intel GPU with DXVA on isn't going to fly.
a system with 8GB and a core ix is not a small system... it's not about physical size Smile that's a monster overkill system.
Well, i cant quite figure out what the settings should be on this system then - my old system was working fine (Intel Atom) with DXVA2 on - with the new system it will only work perfekt when its off and the rendereing i set to DXVA.

Is this the most correct settings for my system?
yes. you have a lousy hw decoder and a beefy cpu. use the cpu.
What you see is known as macroblocking, it occurs when the video decoder cannot fully decode the video. It can be caused by a) out of spec h264 or b) crappy video decoder. I suspect b) in this case.
Thanks for the tips - it's nice for me to know these things in the future :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pixel problems in BluRay rips0