HDMI vs. Monitor Cable
Both my video card and Panasonic Plasma TV have both HDMI and a Monitor plug.

Since I set up my HTPC with XBMC I have been using a computer monitor cable and the resolution set at the 1920 x whatever for both the TV and the computer.

Would I be better off using the HDMI cable? I have had no issues and the picture is great (stutters a little when there are a bunch ocean waves or rain on the screen, but I think this is the computer)

Thoughts?
If you're not sending sound to the TV, then i don't think that it would matter. If, however, you are using separate cables to send video and audio to the TV (or to an AVR), then why not just simplify and use an HDMI cable? But, if it works now, why change it? You may have problems you didn't have before if you start using HDMI. Handshakes, EDID, etc.

Are you using a VGA splitter of some sort - or does your HTPC have two VGA outputs?
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
If you mean DVI, you won't really notice any difference switching to HDMI other than being able to pass audio through the same cable (and a bunch of other features if your tv support them, such as full hd 3d).

If you mean VGA, you really should switch to HDMI. VGA is analog, so your graphics card converts your digital content to analog and then back again at the TV end.
It is VGA and my computer has just 1 output. It is a dedicated HTPC and the TV is the only monitor so I am not splitting it .
I am sending the audio to a Pre/Pro via spdif.

If it is converting to analog and back then that might explain the pix-elation I am getting sometimes?

Should I expect have to do any tweaking to get it work though the HDMI?

Thanks again everyone,

Ted
In my experience, the only tweaking needed to connect my laptop (or any pc for that matter) by HDMI to my TV was to set the HDMI as default playback device in my Sound settings.
(2012-08-23, 12:55)tedbrock Wrote: If it is converting to analog and back then that might explain the pix-elation I am getting sometimes?

Should I expect have to do any tweaking to get it work though the HDMI?

It may explain the artifacts.

I'm guessing your pre/pro doesn't support HDMI? Can your PC send audio over spdif and HDMI at the same time, or be configured to only send audio over spdif?

If you're only going straight to the TV from the PC, the HDMI process should be simple. Just plug it in! It's when you start to throw more devices into the mix that things can get weird - an AVR for instance.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-08-23, 20:14)thrak76 Wrote: It may explain the artifacts.

I'm guessing your pre/pro doesn't support HDMI? Can your PC send audio over spdif and HDMI at the same time, or be configured to only send audio over spdif?

No the pre/pro is an older anthem AVM-20v2 Still sounds great though! I am traveling right now but will try it when I get home.
I don't see any reason not to send audio over spdif and video over HDMI. I don't think the graphic card (where the HDMI is coming from) is doing anything with the audio. Right now the audio spdif is coming off the motherboard.

Thanks again guys. Will update you when I finally get home. Undecided
I bet that Anthem does sound nice!
(2012-08-23, 20:45)thrak76 Wrote: I bet that Anthem does sound nice!

oh baby it sure does!

Finally got around to making the switch (had to mount the tv to the wall and install tv tuners to the HTPC and I thought I report back in case anyone checks this thread in the future.

YOU GUYS WERE SO RIGHT!

It is a huge difference in quality! If you found this thread because you are unsure, don't be. Make the change to HDMI and don't look back!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI vs. Monitor Cable0