TESTING a Virtual XBMC Machine running ESXI
Yes, yes, yes holy batman yes.

This setup sounds absolutely genius. I have esxi running unraid for me already. Is there a guide or tutorial anyone can point me towards with a view towards enabling video out from each virtual machine?

I'll test with hardware I have for now but may consider significant hardware changes to achieve this CEC controlled nirvana. My house already has Ethernet and HDMI to each screen running back to a 1x4 splitter - have been looking for an affordable way t give each screen independence for years. Thought raspberry pi was my answer and its pretty close except for not playing 1080p high bitrate (30+ Mbps) streams with DTS. 95% of my files use DTS so this is sadly a no go.

What phrase should I use in my googling? Do this video out feature per VM have a name?

Thanks
Search for VGA passthrough and You will find enough information but not always succesful stories.
Specifically vt-d for Intel and iommu for amd
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-08-24, 16:23)bisk Wrote: I'm assuming that you can pass-through a USB IR that is connected to the host for each VM running XBMC?

Read today that you can pass through 20 USB devices to each machine.

Would rather use an iPad.
New to the forum...this is a topic that I'm definitely interested in.
(2012-08-31, 22:46)clew Wrote: New to the forum...this is a topic that I'm definitely interested in.

Glad to hear!
I don't get why everyone wants to pass through usb. Well I do get for remote control reasons but you would have to run a usb cable to the tv. As I said before why not take advantage of the hdmi cable and use a hdmi cec adapter, or phone tablet

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-09-01, 00:26)charlie0440 Wrote: I don't get why everyone wants to pass through usb. Well I do get for remote control reasons but you would have to run a usb cable to the tv. As I said before why not take advantage of the hdmi cable and use a hdmi cec adapter, or phone tablet

+1 to this...
(2012-09-01, 00:26)charlie0440 Wrote: I don't get why everyone wants to pass through usb. Well I do get for remote control reasons but you would have to run a usb cable to the tv. As I said before why not take advantage of the hdmi cable and use a hdmi cec adapter, or phone tablet

I use an iPhone and iPad mosty myself.
I was wondering why we hadn't heard a update yet. Just realised you've been updating the first post! It doesn't help us who have subscribed to the thread, no email alert.

Have you thought about trying Xen instead of ESXI? There is a lot of documentation on it. I don't know how fussy it is with hardware compared to ESXI?

Wiki for passthrough

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-09-01, 23:49)charlie0440 Wrote: I was wondering why we hadn't heard a update yet. Just realised you've been updating the first post! It doesn't help us who have subscribed to the thread, no email alert.

Have you thought about trying Xen instead of ESXI? There is a lot of documentation on it. I don't know how fussy it is with hardware compared to ESXI?

Wiki for passthrough

I did think about. May try it next.

Will update differently. Sorry about that.
Gotta say, this is an idea that hadn't occurred to me.. But as I'm looking at buying hardware for a couple of small xbmc boxes for TVs that are within easy HDMI cord length, this is kind of intriguing. Unfortunately, everything I can find says Nvidia passthrough is a no-go on ESXi (though, the xen wiki seems to indicate xen (maybe xenserver too) is a different story).

If you want to go the Xen (not sure if XenServer can) route, I found this handy guiide while researching a different aspect of this idea (combining everything in the house onto my big i7 machine, including windows gaming Smile) that may help : http://www.overclock.net/t/1205216/guide...al-machine ...
spent the last 2 hours trying, with no joy, to get my GTX 570 working with passthrough. sadly, this was a no go. passthrough working on the ati card though.

going to give the above Xen server a try this evening - although my internet speeds are severly lacking so downloading Fedora will take me at least an hour Sad

For reference I'm on

Asus Sabertooth X58
i7 950 LGA 1366
12gb Ram
Asus Nvidia GTX 570
ATI HD5450 Silent

My primary goal is to have unRAID and a gaming rig in one box. GTX570 as main video card for the Windows gaming rig, and the ATI HD5450 as an XBMC out in an ideal world at least...
i'm also very interested in this project. i'm also planning to do similar next year when i'm finish with building my house ... Smile

plz keep up the information.
Passthrough on this PC is PCI slot 1 = 16X
slot 2 = 4X

PC I would build in the end would be all 16X.

Got passthrough to enable without crashing today. The 4X PCI may have caused the crashes.

I will build a test virtual XBMC next.

Its been a very busy day and I did not get much of a chance to work on this.

Any questions please ask.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TESTING a Virtual XBMC Machine running ESXI0