project: high performance - low power - fanless HTPC build
Interesting, I have a A6 5400K here I haven't even opened yet (waiting on my Pico 160W PSU from the US). I wouldn't mind the better GPU of the A10 (just for emulators like dolphin)

Was 140W in BIOS? I thought you had a 90W PICO, didn't think that would even boot! How are your temps compared to the A6?

I wonder if you could underclock/disable turbo on the A6 as well.
yes, it was 140W in UEFI bios! My 90W pico seams to have some reserves, at least for some seconds. Smile I had 20 seconds to change the bios before it hangs. So first thing to do was disabling the CPU Turbo! ;-)
And I am sure you can do the same with the A6s - but I guess you will not need to do it since the A6 is only a double core CPU (With Liano it was tripple core)

But the update to A10 makes sense even if you have to underclock this part cause of the better GPU part, that seams to be more efficient than the CPU in this APU..

But however - calling the A10-5700 a 65W TDP APU is nonsense! I fact it is a 100W TDP part!
How do you reduce the maximum clock - I mean how low does it go? I haven't tinkered with a PC in a while
(2012-11-10, 12:52)MikeRD03 Wrote: But however - calling the A10-5700 a 65W TDP APU is nonsense! I fact it is a 100W TDP part!
65W is AMD baseline.....more or less power is depending on the manufacturing of the mobo, and AMD have no control of it.....this guy tests with another mobo is very consistence with AMD baseline- Power-draw with the IGP......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Actually now that I think about it, not really sure what CPU would be best for dolphin. A6 5400K with turbo enabled upto - 3.8Ghz or A10 with turbo disabled (GPU power) say about 3.1Ghz
It depends on what you need. If its GPU power, then go with the A10-5700 and slow down the CPU part. Otherwise a Intel APU would be the best, cause they are more efficient in their CPU part. But all Intels lack of GPU power to speak about. So a dedicated card is a must here.

The A10-5700 has enough power for all modern games - some even with maximum detail. So OK for casual players in my eyes.
Foremost, I want to say a big thank you for this thread. I ran into the same issue except my poor 120W DC powerboard bit the dust because I was not paying attention to the power draw.

(2012-11-10, 12:52)MikeRD03 Wrote: yes, it was 140W in UEFI bios! My 90W pico seams to have some reserves, at least for some seconds. Smile I had 20 seconds to change the bios before it hangs. So first thing to do was disabling the CPU Turbo! ;-)
And I am sure you can do the same with the A6s - but I guess you will not need to do it since the A6 is only a double core CPU (With Liano it was tripple core)

But the update to A10 makes sense even if you have to underclock this part cause of the better GPU part, that seams to be more efficient than the CPU in this APU..

But however - calling the A10-5700 a 65W TDP APU is nonsense! I fact it is a 100W TDP part!

TDP is not a measure of power so it makes it impossible to size a power supply based on it. My 65W TDP Pentium G620 never goes over 60W power usage. That 65W TDP A10-5700 hit 125W! It shows there's just no way to deduce the power usage based on TDP and you cannot compare across product lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

It's a real PITA. And then you look at reviews and people are using 800W PSUs which also does not give a good idea of power consumption.
TDP may not tell the power consumption of an APU, but it SHOULD give you a good hint, cause the drawn 125W input power have to go somewhere and this is almost heat! TDP should tell me the size of cooler I will need, but the current AMD TDP specs are crap - at least on these high end APUs.

It seams this is a tradeoff for their old die structure size with 32nm. An APU with 120W TDP is not sellable that good with rising power cost. A shrink to 22nm almost a must for the next generation.

I have to say I was not that surprised measuring the power draw at my A10-5700 the first time, cause it almost doubles CPU and GPU power in comparision to my old A6-3500. And this is impossible without taking more power, even with their new piledriver design. So I can say, I got what I expected. :-)
Well, 150W PSUs it is and no A10-5800Ks Smile. Though, I have some nice 19V 180W mini-ITX PSUs coming.

BTW, the A10-5700 draws more than the i3-2120T/HD6670 system I put together in the same case.
That's possible, no question. But a i3-2120T/HD6670 combination is significantly more expensive, spacier and most important for me - a passive cooling is much more complex and costly. So no alternative, indeed. :-)
Is it possible to disable one/two of the piledriver cores? on the A10?
(2012-11-12, 21:48)tutu Wrote: Is it possible to disable one/two of the piledriver cores? on the A10?

I don't see that option in the ASRock FM2A75M-ITX BIOS. Underclocking/volting worked well to bring the power usage down. No idea how stable it would be in Windows though.

No, deactivating of single cores is not possible, never saw such an option, though.

You can disable Turbo and/or lower CPU clock for saving energy.
Hello,

just found this thread, looking for a semi passive compact ITX system.

Couple of questions:
- Is it possible to resubmit the pictures of the (updated)system, like on 1st page - I'm unable to view...
- from Russian forum on AMD APU, it was advised that 3.0 limit for the CPU is lowest possible, allowing to play modern games, and also maintain the lowest heat generation. My question is - how is this done - via BIOS or in OS itself(i.e. using some utilities). I have a Gigabyte Board which does not allow CPU Voltage decrease from BIOS Sad

thanks in advance

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
project: high performance - low power - fanless HTPC build0