Best Linux PVR backend?
I have been using MythTV for several years. Recently, again, i got tired of the ugly looking frontend and wanted something better. I knew about XBMC and started to search if it was possible to connect XBMC to a myth backend so i could watch recordings. This is what i primarily use my HTPC for, watching/recording TV.

And now a new world opened up. XBMC with PVR support, and a MythTV plugin under development. I got excited. Finally something new and fun i could spend hours on to tweak.
But now i also found out that there are a few other possibilities besides MythTV as a backend, like Tvheadend.

So my question is: What is the best backend i could use with XBMC in Linux? Keep in mind that i have got used to the features the MythTV backend offers, and i don't really want anything less than that. But is there any backend software that is better? Or is there any backend that is under heavy development with the ambition to be like the Myth backend or better? And what backend has the best integration in XBMC, so far? And is there any project that shows more activity than others?

I really don't mind waiting a while, and maybe i can help in finding bugs. But what is the "right" solution now and in the future? Who has the most potential?
I apologize for not searching enough. This topic seems to be discussed on several places. But anyway, if you have any new information feel free to post it. Haven't read through everything yet so i don't know if all my questions will be answered.
I used MythTV for years, and never had any issues with the recording scheduling functionality. I think it is fair to say that TVHeadend has less options in that area. Up until recently, there wasnt much development on TVHeadend, but now there is new life in the project, so i would expect some new releases, with new functions over time (check out the activity on the bugs/issues list, there's plenty going on now).

I think it's probably also fair to say that the TVHeadend integration with XBMC is more "stable". I use an OpenElec PVR build that comes with the TVHeadend addon included. There is a lot of development in both tsp42's XBMC-MythTV addon and the XBMC-TVHeadend addon.

My feeling is that MythTV is a feature rich backend, probably more advanced than TVHeadend at this stage. I moved away from MythTV as it was getting too heavy with clever functionality, and TVHeadend provided a lightweight and simple backend that could run on my NAS. I feel that over the coming months/years, that TVHeadend will make up some ground on MythTV, but hopefully will remain the small-footprint service that it currently is.

I too moved away from MythTV frontend. XBMC is by far the best UI for living room presentation that I have used. MythTV frontend (especially mythmusic) was just plain horrible to look at.

I'd suggest cobbling together a HTPC out of parts (or get a new one) and try an XBMC build that supports tsp42's MythTV addon. I'd point that HTPC at your existing MythTV server and see how it goes. I'd change one thing at a time, and retain your MythTV backend (if you are happy with it). Moving to XBMC and TVHeadend in one shot might add too many variables and cause lounge room downtime Smile

Anyway, hope that helps (hope it is accurate too)

Cheers Nathan

I'm thinking of letting Myth handle the recordings, and allowing Tvheadend to use one DVB card for LiveTV viewing, but then at least they need to get timeshift working first. The problem is that i like to use the development version of things, and i guess that the XBMC-mythtv addon will always be one step behind. It seems that development has stalled a bit. But if it gets support for 0.26 i will try it out.

Still trying to learn XBMC. It is very powerful but still needs a lot of tweaking to make things right.
If you use OpenElec PVR build for your HTPC, then you can activate the TVHeadend that comes with that, to control your LiveTV needs. I hasvent tried it, but i'm sure OpenElec PVR comes with TVHeadend ready to go, you just have to enable it. I'm not sure how (or if) the TVHeadend and mythtv addons play together though... but if you are into the bleeding edge, then why wouldnt you give it a shot Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Linux PVR backend?0