XBMC Volume Control via Remote
Hi everyone! I have been playing around with this for some time and haven't been able to find a solution, so I'm reaching out to those much wiser than me for guidance. What I'm trying to do is to use my remote to control the volume from within XBMC.

Quick background:
Volume used to work, but this was because the remote was interacting at the kernel level with the OS (or so I believe). What this meant was that volume up/down, direction buttons as well as other button commands were interacting at the OS level. I stopped this by running "sudo rmmod -f ir_rc6_decoder".

What I have now is that my remote keys only interact with lircd, which is what I like.

Now, here's what's tripping me up. As I understand it, in XBMC 11.0 (Eden) keymap.xml has been replaced by keyboard.xml. If I view this file, I see entries such as:

keyboard.xml excerpt Wrote:<s mod="ctrl">Screenshot</s>
<minus>VolumeDown</minus>
<plus>VolumeUp</plus>
<equals>VolumeUp</equals>
<zero>Number0</zero>

What this tells me is that the values in red are what I would feed into my Lircmap.xml, as follows.

Lircmap.xml excerpt Wrote:<PageUp>KEY_PAGEUP</PageUp>
<PageDown>KEY_PAGEDOWN</PageDown>
<VolumeUp>KEY_VOLUMEUP</VolumeUp>
<VolumeDown>KEY_VOLUMEDOWN</VolumeDown>

This has to be correct, because I've mapped several different buttons, and most have worked successfully. However, I can't seem to get the volume button to work. When I map it to the "VolumeUp" and "VolumeDown" actions (taken directly from keyboard.xml) The keys don't do anything. However, if I change my Lircmap.xml file as follows

Lircmap.xml excerpt Wrote:<Up>KEY_VOLUMEUP</Up>
<Down>KEY_VOLUMEDOWN</Down>

I'm able to use the volume buttons to move up and down along the menu. This tells me that it's been mapped correctly via lircd, but that it is an issue with the XBMC mappings. Has anyone else come across this issue? Any tips, help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

tl;dr The XBMC VolumeUp and VolumeDown actions can't be used to control XBMC volume.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Volume Control via Remote0