Linux Unusual performance issues
Hello, as it's my first appearance on this forum. I wold like to warn: I am a noob when it comes to any kind of software and it's my first 'real-deal' attempt with linux.

The problem I have is as follows:
I just installed XBMCbuntu and while using it is smooth and flawless (as far as I could notice so far) as soon as I turn XBMC on CPU usage goes to 100%, frame rate is (by eye) 15fps but it takes about 5 sec for the interface to react to what I am doing.

I previously had openELEC on and everything was just superb (720p video playing and 30-50% of CPU usage and no ''lag' at all) - i changed it because I wanted to have an option to have a normal desktop.

This situation has me very confused (XMBCbuntu desktop runs smooth until I turn XBMC on and XBMC was smooth on openelec), I am sory if somebody had this problem already, but I looked for it with no success.

My spec is:

AMD Athlon LE-1620
4GB of ram
ATI Radeon x550 (i know it's not so good, but if I were to spend money on this project I would just get RaspberryPi)
Immediate thought is "what else is happening that's consuming CPU"?

Does the problem go away if you leave the machine on for a while (e.g. if something is updating when you first boot up)?

Can you open a console session (Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in (username and password is what you defined when you configured things initially) and see what's running? Once you're at the command prompt, type top and press return - you'll get a listing of the main processes, in descending order of CPE utilisation. Paste the first few lines here, or just list the process names (in the "COMMAND" column on the right) and their CPU usage ("%CPU") to see if there's anything untoward.

Oh, and you get out of top by pressing q, then exit to log out - and Ctrl+Alt+F7 should take you back to XBMC.

I suppose the other question is "why switch from OE"...
Aside from the UI lag, does it play videos smoothly or does it stutter too?

If it's just the UI that is sluggish, you may want to enable "dirty regions", as explained here: Dirty_regions (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unusual performance issues0