Settings all reset to default (library does not)
Question 
Hi all,

This problem has been happening to me for as long as I can remember. Its intermittent, so I havent been too pressed to solve it. (I did a search, found similar issues that dated back to 2009.)

The problem is that occasionally I lose all my settings. The library stays intact, but all my options and customizations go back to default. This is somewhat 'random' but I have noticed a distinct correlation between get the computer getting hard shutoffs and this happening. That is, if the external power goes or I hold down the power button to kill the PC, in those cases it seems that the settings are more likely to default.

Any ideas? How can I get my settings to stick?
I think your settings are sticking... it's just on occasion your system goes before XBMC has a chance to properly shutdown and write logs and last file addendum's. Given that if a file is left open... e.g. power loss from a cord pull, you're left with a corrupt open file and XBMC rebuilds the user settings from default. I'd suggest buying a longer cord, plugging it in not near your feet.. and exiting XBMC before you crash and have to hold down the power button.

Well seriously, just keep a copy of your user folder intact elsewhere, I think there is a plugin that does this for you automatically on a regular basis.
I'm getting exactly the same problems 3 times now within a this month... Last one was regular Restart from XBMC exit menu, on restart I get "Start windows normally" like windows was not shut down properly and when starting XBMC all my settings are gone.

Any more info about that plugin you mentioned, doing all the settings again is getting to be pain in the butt.
almost sounds like your hard drive is failing. if you want, go and download CrystalDiskinfo http://crystalmark.info/software/Crystal...dex-e.html and see what the program says about the health of your drive.
Ouch ... don't want that to happen. Thanks for the link.
I have backed up my settings and restored them after several losses. Much better, but still annoying. I cant seem to pin the setting losses on any one thing. Hard shutdowns, proper shutdowns, application crashes...

I have been doing the backups manually. I tried XBMC backup addon, but when I went to restore it did nothing... I'm left manually restoring for now...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Settings all reset to default (library does not)0