WD My book live and xbmc
My hdd died and looking to get a smaller ssd for my HTPC and get a my book live for media storage. Anyone use this for network storage and stream to xbmc? I have seen some reviews where the data transfer rate is said to be slow but I have my HTPC hard wired to my router so I'm not sure I'd run into this issue.

If any are currently using this setup how is the playback using xbmc with 1080p mkvs?
I am currently using WD my book 2t (2.0 usb) as an extenal network. What i have found is i can play up to 8 gig BR Rips smoothly but i tried a full 50 gig and had stutter I dont know about the 3.0 usb there suppose to have faster transfer speeds. I think also alot will depend on your router if its setup for gig.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
Yea, I currently have a Cisco WRT120N that doesn't support Gigabit. I'm definitely going to upgrade my router pretty soon here. USB 2.0 sounds like it could suit me very well as I don't watch anything larger than say 20 GB. If i did have gigabit capability, and I had both the My Book Live and HTPC hardwired to the same gigabit router wouldn't that give me faster speeds than even usb 2.0?
Showtime, were you successful in setting up your MBL with XBMC? I recently purchased a new MBL. I'm in your same shoes, do not have a gigabit router, thinking about upgrading. Can you stream from your MBL using XBMC over 3G or out of your LAN? Was there a noticeable difference in your gigabit router?
Hi,

I recently invested in a MBL and a mac book mini.

My MBL is connected to to my router with gigabit ethernet and my mac is using wifi to connect to the router.

I had extremely slow transfer speeds to begin with but working with Linux everyday, it didn't take long to figure out that there is a data crawler service installed by default on MBL which basically crushes its performances,
What I'd recommand is to update the MBL to the latest version and then work on its useless services such as mac backups, itunes servers, twonky (if you don't need it) and that data crawler.

Once done (i can post here everything i did if my history is long enough), you end up with a beautiful little NAS that can do pretty much everything you want it to:
- Stream high bitrates files
- Download files from RSS feeds
- Download torrents
- Be cute
- Run silently and coldly

I don't get why WD ships it with such a horrible set of defaults services as the HDD is good enough for anything and the price is almost half the price of cheapest NAS out there.
Thank you for you response! I'm not familiar with Linux at all. I've read on some baords that the mediacrawler realllllly slows down the MBL performance. I know a little about SSH'ing into things, but am not so sure I would know how to disable mediacrawler. I use the itunes and twonky servers, but i would love to disable the mediacrawler. Do you mind sending me a step by step instruction of how do get it to go away? Or maybe a link I can read up on it?

Thanks a ton!
(2013-02-21, 18:32)SDRHYTHM Wrote: Thank you for you response! I'm not familiar with Linux at all. I've read on some baords that the mediacrawler realllllly slows down the MBL performance. I know a little about SSH'ing into things, but am not so sure I would know how to disable mediacrawler. I use the itunes and twonky servers, but i would love to disable the mediacrawler. Do you mind sending me a step by step instruction of how do get it to go away? Or maybe a link I can read up on it?

Thanks a ton!

Here's an interessant link: Discussion about media crawler

The post from Apost sums it up, just perform the orion service removal and you should be a lot better already.
After sshing, just perform:
cd /etc/init.d/

update-rc.d -f orion remove

reboot

Everything else in init.d is extra tweaking and you shouldn't do it unless you know what you're playing with. In case you decide to go that way, remember to ALWAYS perform a backup of your file first,
cp myFile myFile_orig for example.
Awesome! I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out. Thanks a ton!
I've been performing some transfers' tests through gigabit network and I reached about 70Mbs which is pretty much the maximum speed my usb drive can reach (5400rpm) so I would say that there is no aboslutely no problem with it anymore. I'll bench the read/write to7from ssd when I come back from holidays but so far it does look like the only limiting factor is my wifi (can't wait for the new standard),

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WD My book live and xbmc0