Skin and cpu/mem usage
So i'm trying to keep things light. And i wanted to know, what makes a skin heavy?
Like, for example, a choice between a 1px black png or a nice 1080px with diffuse and fanart.
Will that give me enough extra in resources to really be a benefit?
Are empty parts (transparent) in big png files heavy? Like, if you wanted to just make a spotlight on a background. Is it just the actual visible pixels that get refreshed with dirty regions? Using the same black bar multiple times in a window vs a slightly different one?
Would it help if animations get timed to start after each other? And how much more heavy are animations vs none?
Lenght of xml files? Out of screen onfocus includes vs overlay windows? With that i kind of mean, loading them on window open (like views) or when you need them (like dialogbuttonmenu).

I think you get the idea Smile
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
number of controls and number of viz conditions is likely the main metrics
1px png is faster than a 1080p texture. If you want speed, you need to use light textures, reuse them, i.e. have only one dialog background image for all dialogs etc.

The main performance killer are the textures but you can also do things "wrong" in your code, i.e. rather use multiple item- and focusedlayouts for the different contents than one huge layout where you do everything with visible conditions (it can kill the scrolling performance).
(2012-09-09, 10:37)spiff Wrote: number of controls and number of viz conditions is likely the main metrics

So, if I understand by "number of controls"... does it mean that removing the number of available views (i.e. Banner view, fanart view, etc..) will speed up the skin? Or do you only talk about "active" control from a given view?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin and cpu/mem usage1