How do you power on your system?
I used to do #3, but sleep was giving me problems. #4 is possible, I have the remote dongle but since it is windows I don't have the patience for the boot time. So now I do #2. My remote closes and starts xbmc, but htpc stays on.

I have the Asrock A75 mITX with A6-3500. Sleep worked fine for the most part, it was instant and such, but after a while it started crashing the computer. I think it's a problem with the board, but I am not sure if mine is faulty or this model has problems in general. Maybe others can chime in with their experiences cause this board seems to be pretty popular around here.

Sometimes when I push power, it tries to sleep, but does a restart instead (This was happening pretty frequently). Sometimes when I push power it just locks up with the power light constantly on. Pressing and holding the power button does nothing, I have to unplug. And just the other day, whenever I tried to do a shutdown in windows, it would just do a restart. Kept doing it until I unplugged and did a power cycle.

So I just leave it on. It's very silent so I can't tell if it's on if not for the power light.
You just described things that sound pretty serious.
Have you tried googling those symptoms?
I have A75 mITX with A6-3500 as well.

I usually have it completely off..

I use Logitech K400.. and I just hit any button on the keyboard and it turns on the system.
If your mobo have CIR option, you can use these-

4 in 1 Backlit Remote and CIR Receiver w/Cable and Mounting Bracket for Intel Motherboards

4 in 1 Backlit Remote with IR Receiver and Bracket for ASRock CIR Motherboards

I'm old school.....here is how I do it......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
#2 I did what Blu did when I built the system...
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
From shutdown state S5 using wireless Rii N7 or Logitech MK300

Asrock z77 Extreme4 & i5 3570K
#4 complete off, power cut off to mobo. In this state power consumption is < 0.5W.

I turn it on by remote button press, power button, or timer set by pvr. Unfortunately there is no such device available on the market, so I built it by my own. Parts needed are below 20€, requires solding skills.
(2012-09-07, 13:03)sem2006 Wrote: If there were a remote by RF capable of turning on the computer, it would be the perfect Wink

My system will not be used only at the living room, but also at the car to keep the kids entertained on long trips.

The Global Cache IP2IR device will allow you to turn on your HTPC (or any other IR device) from any web connected device, like your smartphone. Might work for your situation.
(2012-09-07, 11:55)sem2006 Wrote: 4 - My remote allows to power it, even if i have turned it off (it's not in sleep mode). My remote is?

Much like most machines older than about 2 years, my HTPC didn't come with any options for powering it on via remote (and the sleep function doesn't work). I solved it using the Simerec PCS-2. They claim "no soldering required", but that's only technically true. You need to electrically connect it to the purple wire of an ATX supply (5V standby) so that it can operate while the computer is off. They have you do this with an inline coupler, which technically is not soldering, but is still a bit of a technical process. My machine didn't have an ATX supply (picoPSU) so I had to do some soldering. It also required drilling a hole in the case for the IR receiver.
It's a phenomenal solution, but understandably it's not for everyone.

(2012-09-07, 13:44)Nimo Wrote: you need the cir header.

Actually you just need a mobo that supports on via USB.
(2012-09-07, 13:03)sem2006 Wrote: If there were a remote by RF capable of turning on the computer, it would be the perfect Wink

My system will not be used only at the living room, but also at the car to keep the kids entertained on long trips.

My RF remotes turn on the computer. Mobo has the option of turning on from S5 through USB.

Boxee remote does it, several RF keyboards I have do it. Also RF universal remotes will do it via IR receivers.
I get up and turn it on as I pass by the beer fridge.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-09-07, 20:53)thethirdnut Wrote: I get up and turn it on as I pass by the beer fridge.
Now, the real trick is to have it wired so that when you open the beer fridge door, it automatically powers on your system. Smile
@artafael

Depending on how the day went that fridge can get opened a lot ... I don't wanna wear out the power supply. Big Grin
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-09-07, 16:38)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: You just described things that sound pretty serious.
Have you tried googling those symptoms?

well, I probably should rma it, but I'd rather not deal with the shipping and waiting for it. I just leave it on and have had no problems. Now it is also my openvpn server so it needs to be on 24/7 anyway

(2012-09-07, 20:53)thethirdnut Wrote: I get up and turn it on as I pass by the beer fridge.

I thought that was why people had kids, so they can fetch the beer, lol

I tried to train my dogs to do that, but they don't have opposable thumbs :-P
(2012-09-07, 20:35)beetlesnack Wrote: My RF remotes turn on the computer. Mobo has the option of turning on from S5 through USB.

Boxee remote does it, several RF keyboards I have do it. Also RF universal remotes will do it via IR receivers.

Would mind sharing some info on what motherboard you are using to wake from S5 on USB or what features to look for? I've heard that some Asrock boards can do this, but when I read through the manual it says that it will wake from USB on 'Soft-Off', I'm not sure if that is S5 or not. I'm really interested in building an HTPC and using the Boxee RF remote to turn the thing on and off. Thanks
Ok I have had an Asrock A75M for a while and didn't know about powering it on with a boxee remote, I can confirm this works perfect on any USB port with the boxee remote and is dongle, by just enabling Power On With Keyboard on the BIOS. These are Good News!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you power on your system?0