Need help upgrading my server's storage...
I have been using XBMC for about a year and a half now and I've gone from total noob to having what I consider a pretty sweet home setup. I run my main PC from the den, which also has my 2TB HDD, as the server (I also run XBMC on it). I then have 2 remote boxes that run in my bedroom and living room. I never thought my 2TB would fill up, but as I got into backing up my DVDs and BluRays I found that space can go pretty quickly, especially if you are all about special features and such, like I am.

So I decided I need to upgrade my storage space. This is something I know nothing about. I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy another 2TB and just plug it in. I want this data protected. So my question is : what is the best way to double my space, keeping my data protected, and allowing for easy expansion if I need to add more space later?

My friend told me RAID array would require me to buy 3 more 2TB drives just to mirror (?) all of the data for a 4TB setup. That seems like a lot, especially since he said that every 2TB after would require another two 2TB drives. Also, will I need an extra drive to temporarily hold my data while I create the array if I can only afford to buy one 2TB drive in order to turn my storage into a 2TB array? In other words to buy one for now, just to protect my data so that I can upgrade later.

Sorry so long winded. I don't know anything about this really and money is tight so I just want good advice,
Yes I know there is no "best" answer, but I am lost and in need of help.
Hi... I think unRAID is your answer.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489

There are many builds if you search around. It can be made on the cheap.
I looked at unRaid. Seems pretty cool. I guess at this point I am sort of going between this and flexRAID. Either way, it seems a whole lot better than buying twice the space that you actually need. I cringe thinking about all that wasted storage space.
The real deal breaker is going to come down to security of my data though. Anyone know any differences in this aspect between unRaid and flexRaid?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help upgrading my server's storage...0