Choppy Playback on two macs
These files have a way to high bitrate - i guess this is the problem.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-09-14, 16:54)Memphiz Wrote: These files have a way to high bitrate - i guess this is the problem.

Thanks for the reply - but not following...

I think I am following a standard process ripping - using AnyDVD HD to rip to a folder structure, so it's a bit-rate duplicate of the original disc. If I read what your saying correctly, then XBMC on OS X has issues playing native Blu Ray content based on the bit rate?

Conversely, all these files play fine on the Windows 7 installation I have of Eden. No stuttering.

Am I back to saying a newer Mac (newer processor and/or newer graphic chip) would solve this issue? The Windows 7 is an i7 with a dedicated 7xxx series AMD card.

But processor utilization appears to be all cores on Windows, only one on the Macs.

Thanks for your assistance on this.
I think the problem is, that these bd rips are not getting hardware decoded by the GPU and the CPU is not up to the task. Nothing more i can tell. Hardware decoder stuff is not the sector i'm into really.

Not sure why your windows installation uses multithreading (all cores) and osx does not. AFAIK ffmpeg software decoder was limited to 1 thread (1 core) because of issues when multithreading is enabled - in conjunction with the dxva2 hardware decoding on windows.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-09-14, 18:57)Memphiz Wrote: I think the problem is, that these bd rips are not getting hardware decoded by the GPU and the CPU is not up to the task. Nothing more i can tell. Hardware decoder stuff is not the sector i'm into really.

Not sure why your windows installation uses multithreading (all cores) and osx does not. AFAIK ffmpeg software decoder was limited to 1 thread (1 core) because of issues when multithreading is enabled - in conjunction with the dxva2 hardware decoding on windows.

Hmmm....well, I can take a quick screen shot tonight of both the mac the pc with debug running and you'll see what I mean about the CPU utilization......XMBC 11 on the mac also shows as a 32-bit application - is that right?

Beyond that, maybe it's down to specific GPU/CPU's offering the right combo for HW decoding on the Mac?

Any others having no issues throwing any blu ray content at their OS x XBMC perhaps can post their Mac HW config...

I don't mind buying a new Mac Mini, but not TOO blindly...

Thanks

(2012-09-14, 17:19)thrang Wrote: But processor utilization appears to be all cores on Windows, only one on the Macs.

I already told you about the reported core usage in XBMC, it's reported wrong and you will ALWAYS only see one core but the percent can be greater than 100.
(2012-09-15, 04:20)davilla Wrote:
(2012-09-14, 17:19)thrang Wrote: But processor utilization appears to be all cores on Windows, only one on the Macs.

I already told you about the reported core usage in XBMC, it's reported wrong and you will ALWAYS only see one core but the percent can be greater than 100.

Thanks -

So is what I'm experiencing normal on the OS X version, or not, and if not, what can I do?

Thanks
Even without multiple core usage or hardware decoding, it's not normal that the video is so choppy on those two macs (based on their specs) even with CPU/software decoding. Video playback should be near flawless. Can you upload a sample file that causes this that is a few minutes long?
(2012-09-15, 09:22)Ned Scott Wrote: Even without multiple core usage or hardware decoding, it's not normal that the video is so choppy on those two macs (based on their specs) even with CPU/software decoding. Video playback should be near flawless. Can you upload a sample file that causes this that is a few minutes long?

I will see how the m2ts files are broken up and try and pick a segment that is reasonable in length and upload that...

Thanks
I was experiencing the same issue on my mac mini, that it seemed like the video would speed up every so many seconds. How I resolved mine(which it seems to have fixed with 720p Colbert Report's shows) is under settings - video - playback check the 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video', and the jerky video stopped after doing that. Unsure if this is the same issue you are having, but that resolved my jerky video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy Playback on two macs0