Big Shuriken vs Stock AMD fan
My question is for an HTPC with A6-3500 is the Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler really needed for cooling or is the stock fan good enough? Is the stock fan being replaced just because of noise? Or does the chip need that much more cooling then the stock can provide? I was going to try another build with the AMD A6-3500 instead of my other system using the Celeron G540 to see how they differ and put one in another room. I'm just adding things up in the cart and the AMD build is becoming much more expensive, especially with the $49 dollar cost the the Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler in Canada. Huh
It is mainly replaced due to noises......OEM cooler is designed to be able to keep A6-3500 operate at the spec temp....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-13, 20:05)bluray Wrote: It is mainly replaced due to noises......OEM cooler is designed to be able to keep A6-3500 operate at the spec temp....

Ok thanks. Hope the noise isn't too bad then. The cooler alone is more expensive then the G540 CPU in my other build.
You clearly don´t need it.
The Cpu shouldn´t use more than ~10% most of the time, if you set everything up in the right way.

But it´s good to have an aftermarket cooler.
It´s usually more quiet and helps to keep the temperature low (something around 40-50°c is fine.)
Maybe you could even cool it semi-passive.
Just try the stock cooler and exchange it if you aren´t comfortable with the noise.
Palmer, if you live in Calgary you can get it for $30 right now on sale at Memory Express, You can also get it online for $40 from Canada Computers. Not much of a savings, but a savings none the less if you choose to get it.
(2012-09-13, 22:39)Arkitket Wrote: Palmer, if you live in Calgary you can get it for $30 right now on sale at Memory Express, You can also get it online for $40 from Canada Computers. Not much of a savings, but a savings none the less if you choose to get it.

Nope Ontario. I saw it at ME for $30 but not available online or I would of ordered ti and other parts for sure.
Yeah, I know what you mean; I'm in BC. To help find the best prices in Canada I have been using Shopbot.ca and Pricebat.ca (can't remember who turned me onto that website, might have been you in another thread lol)
I'm using the stock cooler in my noise controlled theater and it is not disturbing at all.
(2012-09-13, 20:07)Palmer Wrote:
(2012-09-13, 20:05)bluray Wrote: It is mainly replaced due to noises......OEM cooler is designed to be able to keep A6-3500 operate at the spec temp....

Ok thanks. Hope the noise isn't too bad then. The cooler alone is more expensive then the G540 CPU in my other build.
You can give the OEM cooler a try first. You can select "Cool N' Quiet" option, fan level to 2 and CPU target temp to 50 degrees celcius in bios....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Big Shuriken vs Stock AMD fan0